66 Dart wheel size

-
Well, I don't want to run 17" wheels on mine with ultra low profile tires. Just not a fan of the look. So now I guess I'm back to square one... :(

nothing wrong with you having your oun idea of what you think looks cool on your mopar. our cars are just that, our likes and ideas rollin down the road. hope you find what your lookin for.

Hey Dave, What color are your stock rims? A silver car with black steel wheels and dog-dish hub caps and trim rings looks OK I think. My 66 came with full wheel covers too. I took them off and liked the look without caps. Then a Moparhead friend of mine donated a set of dog-dish caps and trim rings and I like the look a lot. Aftermarket wheels for the early Dart 4'' bolt circle weren't made by too many companies. I've got a set of nice aluminum dog dish caps
from a early 70's Duster if you're interested. toolmanmike

It's all about the Back space . These darts have pretty wide wheel houses so you can put 7" wide wheel 14 or 15" tall. I run a 15X7 crager SS wheel with a 4- 1/8 backspace. And I can run a 11" slick in that hole . nothing rubs. with a 8/3/4" rear end. NO moving the springs in either.
JOHN

Dave ! It's all about the backspace of the wheel. 14 or 15" wheels will fit . backspace should be 4/1/8". I have Brandnew Crager SS 15" X7" with the 4/1/8" back space and I can fit a 11" slick under that dart. No rubbing and no Moving in the springs.
JOHN

Raggie by Al resized GOOD.jpg

whats size tire and rim would fit if i wanted the rear lowered? i want a pro-touring look and found this pic of a classic 66 race car that is the ride hieght i want. i want my tires to fit under my wheelwells like the ones in these pics. any suggestions? also looking at these pics, do you think this 66 has been dropped 1" or 2"s in the rear or is it factory height? my 64 sits this low in the rear, but the springs are old, so im assuming this 66 was lowered abit. im really digging its stance.

img129.jpg

img137.jpg

img151.jpg

not a lot to add ran stock tires on both 65s but the 4 door had no room for larger tires I too love the look of the early trans am cars

so do you guys think a 17x8 with the 4 1/8" back space is too wide? maybe the 17x7 would be better if i want the rear lowered? ill go as far as trim the fender lip, but dont plan on moving springs. itll be awhile before i need rims, so ill have plenty of time to research. posts like this help out alot.
hold on......i thought about it for a bit. the 4 1/8" backspace would be the same on an 8" rim as on a 7" rim right? back space is from the front of the drum or disc back right? and the back spacing is the same because thats the furthest back/inward your rim can go before its too close to the springs right?
that said, does switching from drum to discs throw this back spacing measurement off? because i plan on putting disc brakes on my 8 3/4.

img150.jpg

to be sure I would use a straight edge to check back spacing after rear end is in place with the disk brakes.

I had the same problem. I just used a cheap digital camera and posted the pic s on photo gallery.

-
Back