'66 Dart won't start

-

bluesignet62

Reaction score
'66 Dart 273 with Pertronix 1 ignition kit with std distributor. Stopped to get gas and car would not start. Was running just fine. Getting gas, turns over but will not fire. When letting go of key will act like it wants to fire momentarily every time. Changed ballast resistor (2 times). Checked connections and looked for loose or broken wires. Any suggestions on where to go next? Could this be an ignition switch. Replaced it a few years ago purchased from Van's Auto. Thanks

I was going to say ballast resistor but you changed that twice, so I'd guess ignition switch.

Check your bulk head connector over real good, That is a place where your ignition wires, and battery, and alternator wires meet up, and is a big source of corosion, and high amp draw, which will cause that problem.
I bypassed the alt, battery, and ign wires on a car I just got, to make it run. I was having the same problem. Make your bypass wires, about a foot long, and solder all connections with"rosin core solder" and flux. while you have it apart, clean all the rest of the connections, put it back together using di-electric grease. Check it the bulk head connector over good.

barracudadave67

Have you pulled a plug wire and checked for spark?

Have you pulled a plug wire and checked for spark?
No spark until the key springs back to the on position. Then momentary spark. Am going to first replace ignition switch and then starter relay. I checked bulkhead and it looks clean. I had it apart few years ago and did put dielectric grease on it.

Most likely the brown coil bypass circuit "IGN 2" either bulkhead connector, a failed splice in the engine bay, or bad ignition switch/ switch connector

REMEMBER!!: The "run" circuit, "IGN 1" goes DEAD when key is twisted to "start" so the ballast is OUT of the circuit and there is only one ignition source......the starting bypass circuit

It is one wire (brown) that goes only one place........from the ignition switch, out through the bulkhead, and to the coil + side of the ballast resistor

-
Back