'66 Dash pad schematic?

-

Flashback

Reaction score
I tried the "search" first but did not find a thread that showed/discussed removal & installation of a dash pad on a '66 Dart? I'm trying to get an idea of how many bolts, how hard of a project before I jump in.

Help appreciated...

Pull your instrument panel and the glove box insert, if memory serves me correctly maybe 6 nuts.....5/16

as stated remove the glove box insides,,unscrew the speedo cable from the back of the speedo,,drop the column, then unscrew and gently remove the dash gauge cluster,it wont come out competely unless you disconect all the wiring,,i dont recomend it,and maybe remove the in dash radio,, then get all kinked up laying on the floor around the seats,,between the heater and dash,,,dont forget to take a drop light with you,, you will then see a row of nutz along the inside of the dash pad,,,,,have fun

Thanks guys. Sounds like fun...not. Any suggestions on best source for the dash pad? I know Yearone has it as well as a few others, but you really can't tell quality, plus mine would be a red one, so it needs to be the right match.

Thanks!

Be mindful of any critters that may be living up in that little out of the way space.

Heres a shot of the back of a 66 dash pad so you know what you're up against. They are held on by 5 pal nuts, 5/16". A 1/4" drive, 5/16" deepwell socket with an extension is going to be a handy tool to loosen the pal nuts, then you could remove them the rest of the way with a nut driver. Remember that these nuts are in a recessed area of the dash frame and an extension on a socket is the only way in there, especially when the dash is still in the car. Ohhh, I can hear the cussin' already!!! Hope this helps, Geof

Attachments

• 100_2636.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 100_2637.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 102
Are you sure that those aren't dash caps that glue over the top of your existing dash pad? If that is what you are looking at, they just glue over yours without removing it. I agree, if you've never cussed a day in your life...you will learn quickly!

Is yours missing or just in bad shape ?

Thanks for all the comments and even photos - very helpful.

My dash is very badly cracked from it's years in the desert, but it is all there. In fact, the areas not in the sun, the "under lip" just above instrument panel and the corners are in very good shape. I am thinking about the "overlays" I've seen marketed as it would make the job much easier and I'm not after a 100 point restoration, but rather a "refurbishment". As long as the overlay or cap would look right to the average bear that would be good enough for my purposes. Anyone have any experience or seen an overlay in use?

I posted a wanted ad here on FABO and scored a mint black dash pad for my 66 Dart for $75.Just a thought,lots of parts cars still out there.Is worth a try!

-
Back