66' Duster with a 340 Hemi? LMAO!

-

4mulaSvaliant

Reaction score
So I just came from the Auto Zone down the street, I was talking to the cashier / "part sales" guy. I talked to him about 8 months ago and he says he has a 47 Plymouth. This was after I said I needed a car cover for the 46'.

So it was a brief conversation, but I figured he knew something about cars and possibly mopar stuff.

So I was just there with my Valiant and he wanders out as I do and looks my car over real quick and then says:

"Nice... Uh,...eh, yeah I used to have a 66' Duster with a 340 Hemi."

Me. not the type to be an *** and call him out on it, just said "Oh thats cool man... well take it easy!"

I love it when somebody tries to BS ya about something you obviously know something about!
To good!:bootysha:

HAHA I am that way to other people ruin the fun by callin them out I get a kick out of listening to people talkin about their imaginary vehicles. You know how there was always that one kid growin that made up the craziesyt stories? well my friend sydney has said for 3 years his v6 ford explorer will ride a wheelie into 3rd gear. lol

Yah, he might be related to the kid at our Oreilly who claims to have a 75 Roadrunner with a 383 Hemi. I asked him what the engine came from and he said it was "factory". He's positive it's the 383 Hemi. (I wonder if he's looked up any parts for it in the computer he works on......)It's even got the pistol grip shifter! He didn't bring it with him when he moved because it burns so much gas. I told him I was anxious to see it so he ran out to a hunk of junk Honda and brought back a picture of a 76 Volare style Roadrunner. Red with the back/yellow stripe. Claims his Dad will be bringing it to him in August.

I am kind of wondering if he just found the photo, if his Dad has a car he has promised the kid, or........

Talking to a friend of my nephew's and he wants to find a '71 Charger with a 308 like his grandfather used to have.

Um, pardon me? A 3 what?

A 308. Grandpa had one.

Sorry, no, he didn't. Sure he wasn't talking about a 318?

Nope, it was a 308.

Chrysler didn't have a 308.

Sure they did! Grandpa called it a 308.

Not to burst your bubble, kid. But you must have heard your grandfather wrong. If you're looking for a '71 Charger with a 308 just like grandpa had, you'll never find one. Better look for one with a 318, if you want one like your grandfather's.

I've been around those like you're pointing out, with the '66 Duster and the 340 Hemi. Sometimes the ignorance has to be ignored. But in this case the kid would have searched forever for a car that didn't exist.

haha, i run across people like that to.... number one thing people ask me is if my amx has a big or small block. amc only made one style v8.

i also like how people get a .30 over bore and they think it added 40-50 cubic inches to the engine.

lol, my next door neighbor told me his old 72 challenger with a 383 used to pull the front end off the ground at stop lights because of his factory "slap" shifter

You guys need to hit the track more often.

According to most track announcers ALL Mopar A-bodys are Dusters!!

There's the Valiant Duster (the blind hog finds an acre....)

The Dart Duster

The Duster "notchback" (really heard a Swinger called that..)

And the rare, but famous, Duster Dart Demon!!!:toothy10:

I have a 67 GT with a 341 hemi.Maybe if I got one of them shifters I could pull the wheels off the ground.Do you get them at Auto Zone?

yes in auto zone, down the speed isle, next to the double face tape on chrome scoops and the light up shifter knob.

Sometimes folks are just terribly confused. When I was in college a friend inherited a Dodge Charger. When I asked him what engine it had he said it had a 389. I attempted to correct him with, "383?" He said, "Nope a 389!" His nickname is 389 to this day! His step sisters even call him 389 and they don't have any idea why..
Now if they are just full up to their eyes and compulsive liars it's always fun to lead them on with questions like, " Does it have the Stromberg or Weber carb?" "oh, isn't that the one with the overhaed cam?' etc. It's amazing what you can hear!!!!

LMAO ^^^^^
Normally, I would just let hom claim ignorance, but the thing that kills me about this is that #1 I am obviously working on my "spotted like a primered cow" Valiant, so it seemed obvious I know a little about these cars.
#2, Im in a parts store looking for paint to paint my own car (again.. I must be doing all this crap on my own)
#3 HE HAS AN OLD MOPAR, so he is at least attempting to be a "car guy", so I just thought it was funny that he tried to BS me about cars like mine!

Still laughing about this. The scene in general of course made it all that much funnier!

last night I had a guy tell me he has a #'s matching 340 '72 swinger, I said o wow one of the 25 canadian cars? I thought none were in the pacific northwest. Lol amazing how his story changed.

My 72 Duster has been called a Chevelle,a Nova,and a Torino :bootysha:
My Dodge Omni GLH has been called a Rabbit,a Yugo(that one really wanted me to slap the guy in face)
At my work,im around Ford and Chevy dudes.One insists I put a Chevy SB in my Duster,another insists I put a 460 Ford in it.When I brought my 360 to the shop,I was pointed to a SB Chevy on an engine stand was told"Thats what you need,a REAL MOTOR!".
Got nothing against Chevy,since I own one,but after that crack,ill be doing my swap at home and not at the shop :disgust:

haha, i run across people like that to.... number one thing people ask me is if my amx has a big or small block. amc only made one style v8.

i also like how people get a .30 over bore and they think it added 40-50 cubic inches to the engine.
WOW!So that would make my 0.40 over 360 a WHOPPING 400 CI!!!Lol:cheers::cheers:

Used to work with a guy that sold a Furd truck with a 460 Hemi in it. I just said Wow! I would like to see one of those.

I lived in Newport News for a while 4mulaSvaliant and my aunt had a "66' Duster with a 340 Hemi" and she must have sold it to him when she got tired of pulling wheelies in the church parking lot.

Used to work with a guy that sold a Furd truck with a 460 Hemi in it. I just said Wow! I would like to see one of those.

Here ya go!

113_0603_01_z+ford_boss_429+block.jpg

Really! it is a 460 with Boss 429 heads.

113_0603_01_z+ford_boss_429+block.jpg

my dads buddy told me he put on the tall MT valve covers on so it would give him more compression!..lol?..wtf>?..and swears his 72' 340 Challenger rallye originaly had a canopy vinyl top?..uhhh? but i hear the I had or my dad had storys all the time! like a 68' Challenger with a 440 Hemi! that would do wheelies! haha! i just laugh and walk away..

at work.since im known as the guy that has oldmopars i had a coworker comeask me if i had quarter panel patches for his 75 dart 4 door,when i asked him what engine was in he replied that he was puttng a 454chevy in it and had already cut out the inner fenders!!also my 72 duster was owned by a husband and wife team,when i first met them about 6 years ago the husband(a gm guy)told me he was putting a 327chevy in it!!worse,he was serious and had the fabrication skills to do it!also its been 2 different 74-78 newport that i know about that have been converted to the(infamous)5.7L oldsmobile diesel!!they are within 50 milles of each other and never spoken together but both came up with this weird swap on their own

-
Back