66 formula s

-

737jetdr

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Did the formula s come with an automatic trans in 66? What other options made the formula s different besides the commanda 273 for that year? thanks

Besides the 235 HP Commando motor, the Formula S would have the following options... Dash mounted Tachometer, Front sway bar, HD performance suspension including HD torsion bars and leaf springs, Fender mounted Formula S badges, 6.95x14" blue streak tires and full sport hubcaps. Other options could include...Front disc brakes and 8 3/4" rear. There are probably a couple other items I'm missing, but those are the highlights. Any Cuda from 66 could either come with 4 speed or auto trans. Good luck with your new project, Geof

Commando 273 4 barrel. Suspension package. Firm ride shocks. 6.95 14 inch special blue streak tires. special 14 inch wheels. Bolt on style wheel covers.Tach.

Does anyone know if the carter afb 4 bl carb was an option if it wasn't a formula s? The car i am purchasing has a console, wood steering wheel, ralley gauges with tach , 273 auto w/ AFB 4 bl carb. . It doesn't have the commando valve covers. I don't see the formula badges but the guy I am getting it from says there is some trim and badges in the car. Unfortunately the car is in Vegas and i am in Indiana. just trying to figure out what i might have.

If it was a 4 bbl motor, it would have come with the Carter carb. I forget the number of the carb, but it has the small 4" carb to air cleaner diameter. I would say the easiest way to find out idf it is a real Formula S is to either check the VIN tag or check for a front sway bar. I forget the location on the VIN tag, but I think under the "e" on the tag there should be a 7. Hope this helps, Geof

If it was a 4 bbl motor, it would have come with the Carter carb. I forget the number of the carb, but it has the small 4" carb to air cleaner diameter. I would say the easiest way to find out idf it is a real Formula S is to either check the VIN tag or check for a front sway bar. I forget the location on the VIN tag, but I think under the "e" on the tag there should be a 7. Hope this helps, Geof
The AFB carb numbers in '66 are: 4119, 4120, 4121, and 4122. If its a real Formula S there will be a 7 under the F on the fender tag. Both Formula S's and commando cars have the numbers 32 under the AB on the same line of the fender tag. That indicates the 273 4bbl. engine. The 904 behind a 4bbl. engine has a quicker band apply lever also.
Thanks, Mark

I did get the vin #. The 5th digit is a "D". The website i just looked at shows that it could be a 273- 2bl -180hp or a 273-4b 235hp. Is this correct? I wonder if you could get the commando 273 without the formula package. Or maybe someone put a 4bl on it somewhere down the road. i don't think it has the front swaybar so apparently it's not a formula.

If it came with the Commando (4 bbl) engine, it would have the finned valve covers. Yes, the Commando engine could be ordered without the Formula S option. The best way to confirm is to check the fender tag as mentioned earlier.

Another indicator of a Commando engine is a Prestolite dual point distributor with a cast iron (steel?) body instead of the usual Mopar aluminum body.

Thanks everyone. Whatever it is I plan on having fun with it. Can't wait to get it home next month.

-
Back