66 Shoulder belts

-

daddanjer

Reaction score
Hello , I wanted to know if anyone has converted a non shouler belt "A-Body" car to having shoulder/lap belts? My son and I are restoring a 66 Dart Gt H/T. I am not much of a fabricator but can work with metal/weld. If anyone has done this or can refer us to a site that can show install methods,i.e. point of install, reinforcing areas,parts it would be appreciated. Thanks for your time and info. Ed & Jeremy

Buy aftermarket 3 point belts for a conversion van. Those will have the drop loop at the upper guide mount. The bolt holes are there behind the headlinner in 67 up. I dont know if 66 had those or not.

My 67 Barracuda Fastback didn't have the upper anchor points. See the first thread on how I installed the upper mounts. The second thread is also about putting in three-point retractable seat belts.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=56265

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=48125&highlight=Seat+Belt+Install

EDIT: another option is going to 4-pt seat belts where you can drill into the floor to mount the shoulder straps. I don't have much info on this, however I'm sure some of the racers have done this.

I put a set of these in my '71 Dart. They took about a week to get used to, but once I did, the only real nuisance they made was because I chose the (big, heavy) chrome lift-flap type buckle instead of the (small, light) pushbutton variety, thinking the chrome kind would look better. Wrong choice; the big heavy buckle tended to flop over onto the door sill and prevent the door closing. I'd install them again, but with the pushbutton buckles.

If you're not into those, there are these, and they offer the (necessary!) mount reinforcement plates, which are cleverly designed not to make a mess of the inside of the car. Take care to order the right belts and mounting hardware according to your car's body style.

Their stuff is made by AmSafe, a well established and reputable maker of seat belts, and is DOT-certified. I'd buy from them again.

Here in Sweden the we had shoulder belts. It's attached at the top of the inner side panel underneath the rear side window. You can probably get the cheap too.

I know the 66 Barracuda did not have the upper anchor. I would guess that would also be true of the Dart.

I too have considered adding some type of sholder harness and the only thing I can come up with would be a 4 point harness with the shoulder straps mounted to the rear floor right behind the front seat.

I did see a Chevelle with the shoulder straps having a seat belt tounge and mounted to a rear seatbelt latch. Not too sure about that but I guess it would be ok if you didn't have any rear seat passengers.

This was some good info. =D> I am in the planning stages to get my 68 FB some upgraded seatbelts. I read :read2: through the post and the other posts that had links. So which 3 point belts are better, the van conversion or the set from XV?:dontknow:

Hello everyone , Thank you all for the great info and feedback. Will take a look at all suggestions and go with what works for us. Due to limited funds it takes us a little bit to get each project done but I will post results when finished. Thanks again, Ed & Jeremy

So which 3 point belts are better, the van conversion or the set from XV?:dontknow:

If you look at the second link that was posted by RDJ you'll see my installation thread. I used a set of van conversion retractable seat belts which look exactly like the one's XV Motorsports sells. XV's price is individual, so they cost the same per pair as the WESCO's I have.
http://www.xvmotorsports.com/products/detail/index.cfm?nPID=155&cid=21&cdesc=Interior

http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/conversion-van-seat-belt.html

WESCO also advertises the mounting plates too. Just make sure your mounts are solid. When I posted my install I didn't clarify that the extensions I installed go into the rocker with the mounting bolts. Welding is ideal.

-
Back