67' 318 crank in a 69' 340

-
I talked to my machinist about balancing a forged sb crank. He gave me a ballpark price of approximately $600. That may be a deciding factor as to which route you take.
Good luck

I talked to my machinist about balancing a forged sb crank. He gave me a ballpark price of approximately $600. That may be a deciding factor as to which route you take.
Good luck
Not as many $$'s if your bob weight is a bit lighter than the stock bob weight for that crank. If your bob weight is heavier (like a 318 crank with 340 components) the machine shop will have to add mallory weight which is quite expensive. You knew that already though.

I believe it was for removing material and balancing Mike. More info is in my "273, 302, 318, 340" build thread. I was using new 318 pistons, stock rods n pins and 318.forged crank. Thats why I ended up going a different route on my build. Fresh machined 340 short block for around $1200.
Not as many $$'s if your bob weight is a bit lighter than the stock bob weight for that crank. If your bob weight is heavier (like a 318 crank with 340 components) the machine shop will have to add mallory weight which is quite expensive. You knew that already though.

Most of the time, and thus $$, is in the balancing of the rods so that the big end and small end weights are matched. That takes time. And that is one reason why I used the SCAT rods: they come from the box weight matched at both ends, and the data is written right on the box for bob weight computation. Done; lots of cost saved. Machinists must hate them as they cut into machining time....

And machine work varies a ton form place to place. I bet that full $600 balance job would be $300 here, from 2 shops that have been around forever. When those guys retire or die, then I bet my prices will go way up.

My balance on my 273 was $250 but that was 10 years ago and I didn't have a mismatch of parts. The Egge pistons were lighter than the stockers so they had to remove a little weight from the crank. Here's the rod balance that nm9 mentioned above.

100_4953.JPG

100_4957.JPG

-
Back