67-68-69 Barracuda chrome n stainless trim - how hard to find?

-

RzeroB

Reaction score
Okay, so I went and looked at this 68 Barracuda fastback and it was a prety decent car. The body is rust-free and solid, the paint is very good, and it has a very healthy small-block in it. I like the car but ... the stainless trim and most all of the chrome is ... well ... crappy.

So I need the help of all you guys out there who have gone down this road before me. Help me out here with your collective knowledge okay? Here is what I would eventually want to replace:

1. tail-lights
2. console chrome
3. instrument cluster bezel with woodgrain trim
4. possibly a new instrument cluster with 150 speedo and tach (currently has standard cluster)
5. front and rear window stainless trim (the current trim looks like it was cleaned up with a very coarse steel wool or fine sand paper)
6. exterior and interior door handles

Is any of this stuff available as repops? Or do you have to hunt down good used replacements? Any of it harder to find than the others? Any of it next to impossible to find? Appreciate any and all inputs. Thanks in advance for your help!

Most of what you interested are available from people on this site. Many will reply. Front and back SS trim seems to go from $60 to $300. The front is a available as a repo.

Repo wood grained instrument cluster costs about $540, not sure about the quality. Many will sell it used but they want almost as much. The 150 speedo and original 0-6000 tach come up now and then. Check this site and eBay. The "0" position on the 68 tach is different than the 67, so get the correct one.

My main advice is be willing to wait, and you will get a better price.

If the car does have the stainless reveal mouldings on front and rear glasses you are waaaaay ahead of the curve. The stuff can be polished. Used reveal moldings for the fastback rear glass offered here average 300 plus shipping. And rarely offered. And never flawless.
That rally inst' panel.. I absolutely would not put anything used in it. That will only lead to repeated R&R / one fault after another. And even if you find all the short cuts and get good at it, its still not a fun task. The 120 MPH speedo and everything else you have can be restored, speedo converted to 150 mph scale while at it. Just send the whole darn thing to a inst' service company. And don't forget to service/renew the climate controller as much as possible with parts currently available ( not many ). That plastic bezel, If it has any damage or flaws ( some are typical ), I'll recommend the new reproduction.
The OEM center console... Its lack of arm rest, cup holders, etc.., render it a worthless piece of crap in my opinion. I wouldn't spend 1 thin dime on it.

I agree with red
except for the 150 speedo. There was one in my car, but I found the divisions too close together for old eyes.So speeding tickets were an ever-present possibility. Plus the car rarely has gone over 100/120 so for me the 150 is not a desirable option. I think I mighta pulled it out in the early 2000s. These days I drive 55,lol
And one thin dime on the console is too much. I yanked mine out, and it's still in the rafters. That thing is a tank,probly 700 pounds or so.

Thanks guys, appreciate the inputs! Not sure what is meant by the term "reveal" mouldings? The car has approx 1/2" wide stainless mouldings all around the windows ... and they are all there for each window.

As for the center console, yeah, it does seem rather lacking ... but I think it needs to stay as the car is an automatic with the shifter in the console.

How would you rate trying to find this stuff, with "0" being next to impossible to find, and "10" being that you could probably find some online today if you needed to?

How would you rate trying to find this stuff, with "0" being next to impossible to find, and "10" being that you could probably find some online today if you needed to?
All I can say is do not buy a incomplete set of rear window stainless trim ( its called reveal moldings ). I needed only the left lower piece for a notchback rear glass. When I did get it, it was free. My hunt was nearly 13 years. I had watched many complete 4 piece sets go by at 300 and up.
We don't see so many available today complete or not. Good luck

I have a '67 Fastback. Like a lot of the '67 guys they want the trim around the back window. So it's getting harder to find. I bought a complete set a year ago from a member on here. I think I paid 300 or 325. It doesn't seem to show up very often. For the windshield I paid about 65. Other style cars do work BTW. If it shows up on ebay it seems to be quite a bit more. The other thing to look at is the bezels and trim rings around the grill. Look at those. They are not cheap. Then again most stuff on 2nd gen Barracuda's aren't. Good Luck.

I have a '67 Fastback. Like a lot of the '67 guys they want the trim around the back window. So it's getting harder to find. I bought a complete set a year ago from a member on here. I think I paid 300 or 325. It doesn't seem to show up very often. For the windshield I paid about 65. Other style cars do work BTW. If it shows up on ebay it seems to be quite a bit more. The other thing to look at is the bezels and trim rings around the grill. Look at those. They are not cheap. Then again most stuff on 2nd gen Barracuda's aren't. Good Luck.
better be patient , or bend over ! at least 67 tail lights are cheaper than 68`s on ebay, or the suppliers !

It's casually referred to as "unobtainium." BUT it can be straightened and polished by a talented metal worker.
67 rear window trim attaches differently than the lock strips used on later models, but it can be converted.
Above all, be patient ... or filthy rich.

I just got prices for 67 lockstrip. $425 will do front and rear using my original gaskets. Any i have seen shrunk after 3-4 years. So its only a "temp fix" in my opinion. They offer a lifetime guarantee tho (Precision ReplacementPProducts)
The permanent fix is the stainless trim, but yer probably a grand all in.
Wishing I didn't sell my trim now lol

I hear ya Steve. Glad I bought mine when I did. I'd like to here somebody chime in that was at Carlisle. Currious what they were going for there.

-
Back