67/68/69 cuda dilemma

-
ha, ya...
step 1: do body and paint cause' "i'm going to build the other one and leave this a cruiser"
step 2: change mind and try not to screw up the fresh paint too much while doing everything to this one i planned for the other one
:BangHead:
Changing out the upper cowl panel, you are gonna screw up some paint. You gotta remove the whole front clip, the windshield, and remove the dash frame to change it out.

Changing out the upper cowl panel, you are gonna screw up some paint. You gotta remove the whole front clip, the windshield, and remove the dash frame to change it out.
oh, i'm not replacing mine, my comments were of a general nature :lol: i'm going to get my body work fix vicariously by watching you work :thumbsup:

Well Rome wasn't built in a day, this tortured fish wont be rebuilt in a day either. I got the last of the undercoating off today though. Even though it is pretty clean by 50+ year old standards, this is all still getting sandblasted, and epoxy primered.

This is a mess of a job no matter how you do it. My preferred method, a combination of bernsomatic torch, steel scraper, and steel wire brush. After which I used paper towels wetted with Xylene to clean off the excess to primered metal.

I will eventually add a Matt version of the UScartool upper shock tower reinforcement. Would prefer to work with clean primered steel when making the pieces.

20210807_111120.jpg

20210807_123154.jpg

20210807_170729.jpg

ever try a nylon cup brush? makes a mess but it tears right though the under coating they used and leaves nice clean metal
Yup, I have. It works great but leaves a dusty mess, and you want a respirator on while using it. Not a great option in 100° weather. Scraping it off with a torch, then wiping down is a mess as well, but minimal dust.

Did a TSP / water rinse after work today. These things are Clean!!! Dried them off well in the sun, and put em into a big sealed ziploc bag until I can get some epoxy primer on them. The TSP rinse will help a lot with flash rust. Damn near eliminates that, however we have rain storms moving in this weekend. Better to seal these up to keep them away from moisture.

20210810_190425.jpg

20210810_190448.jpg

20210810_191056.jpg

20210810_191213.jpg

Picked up some 68/69 318 valve covers a few years ago. Forgot I even had them as I was looking for a set. I must have too much stuff. Anyways. One i apparently sandblasted years ago, then stopped messing with them. Dont remember why. One of em had a bunch of dents. I did pick n file bodywork on it, then dumped it into the sand blast cabinet to clean it up. Found some more small dents. Circled them w a sharpie. Will remove the baffles to clean under them, float those other dents out as well. They look pretty good so far. I need to make some new wire loom clips and spot weld them on.

20210822_093129.jpg

20210822_113939.jpg

20210822_113943.jpg

20210822_113947.jpg

20210822_120035.jpg

Ball rotary file on the perimeter of the weld on the inside of the cover. Then weld them back on after everythings been cleaned.

Not a whole lot going on. Lots of other crap in my life taking precedence at the moment. I did get the second set of tires for the back mounted and balanced. When I finally get the 8.8 put back together and temp installed underneath, I will need them. Picked up a set of felpro #1243 intake manifold gaskets. Decided to mark the intake and heads for gasket matching. That Weiand stealth 8022 is real close. Will only need minor cleaning up to match. Those 302 heads though, WoW!!! I will need to do a fair bit of work on them.

20210911_185645.jpg

20210911_185653.jpg

My next days off are thursday thru Saturday. I got everything ready for sandblasting and primer this week, then checked my weather app. Rain from tuesday to sunday. I know we need rain, but this is crazy!!

Screenshot_20210926-195301_WeatherBug.jpg

Well threat of rain be dammed. Sunny morning. After doing some grocery shopping w the wifey, I decided to push her out on a tarp and at the very least start stripping the engine compartment. I was at it maybe a half hour, and here comes the rain. I got her pushed back inside the shop, emptied the tarp full of sand into a bucket for reuse, and closed up. Then the rain came. Barely made it.This usually happens in midday to late afternoon around here. Second pic was as far as I got. I will try again tomorrow.

20210930_123747.jpg

20210930_135225.jpg

Gonna start stripping the big flat areas of the engine bay with my DA sander inside the shop today, this will make sand blasting go a bit quicker when the time finally does come.

Well no rain in immediate forecast. I worked from 11am to 5pm. I am beat tired. Got a lot of it done though. Sandblasting is an effing mess, but it is efficient and thorough. I have to push it out and get the rest of the RH inner fender. Lots of stubborn surface rust spots left on it. Still lots to do.

20211001_170534.jpg

20211001_170529.jpg

20211001_170654.jpg

You could finish my car in a day the way you get stuff done! It would take a half a day if you had my standards! nice work!

You could finish my car in a day the way you get stuff done! It would take a half a day if you had my standards! nice work!
Oh I dont work that fast lol. It's been weeks since I touched it. Just been patiently waiting for cooler weather to get this part of the job done.

-
Back