67-68 Hood Inserts on a 64-66

-

Rustyfish

Reaction score
Trying to see if anyone has done this. I really like the look of something added to the hood and in particular the inserts from 67-68. Anyone know if this can be easily done, or would it take a fair amount of hacking. I don't want to have to do too much modification to my current hood as it's in pretty solid shape.

If you're talking about these, not very difficult. Cuda ones???

IMG_0974.JPG

I'd be surprised if no one had done it yet, that's why I asked. We'll see what pops up tonight.

This is another look I thought interesting, but can't remember where I found the pic. Anyone seen this Barracuda?
s-l1600 (6)a.jpg

If you actually look at the stamping of a 67-69 hood, it's pretty complex. You have twin power bulges with the inserts set down into the bulges at a slight angle. You'd really need the whole skin, but then you'd somehow have to work in the center peak on the early hood. It would be a major project for an experienced sheet metal guy. You can't just plop them down on a flat hood because the back of them is shaped for the angled depression.

If you actually look at the stamping of a 67-69 hood, it's pretty complex. You have twin power bulges with the inserts set down into the bulges at a slight angle. You'd really need the whole skin, but then you'd somehow have to work in the center peak on the early hood. It would be a major project for an experienced sheet metal guy. You can't just plop them down on a flat hood because the back of them is shaped for the angled depression.
That's kind of the point of the post. I haven't seen one in person, so I'm not familiar with the surface underneath the insert. Even if angled they would work as long as they would lay flat, but that's maybe not the case from what you are saying. Still not quite sure.

If Roger can meld an E body bulge hood to his 66's hood, and Jake and I can do it to Jake's 65....and none of us are body men, as long as you have a donor 67-68 hood that you can skin and meld with your early A hood, I say go for it! Roger laid his E bulge directly on top of his 66 hood, where Jake and I cut most of the skin off the 65 hood and fit the E bulge that way. Either way, it was a lot of work, but the end result is pretty dang cool.

If Roger can meld an E body bulge hood to his 66's hood, and Jake and I can do it to Jake's 65....and none of us are body men, as long as you have a donor 67-68 hood that you can skin and meld with your early A hood, I say go for it! Roger laid his E bulge directly on top of his 66 hood, where Jake and I cut most of the skin off the 65 hood and fit the E bulge that way. Either way, it was a lot of work, but the end result is pretty dang cool.

I love Roger's hood. That's what I have in mind but more of a bolt on.

Roger was our inspiration, as well.... We even got to show each other our hoods in person at Carlisle!

You can do it. Blending in good scoops isn't that bad.

I'm wanting one like the new demon on my valiant. Should be easy once I find the right scoop. Gonna be harder to make it functional:)

Last edited:
-
Back