67 and 69 barracuda reverse light housing mounting screws

67 and 69 Barracuda reverse light mounting screws. Would you buy a set?

• Yes I'd buy a set

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • No, I'll figure something else out

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
It seems these are near impossible to find, so I am working on a way to come up with reverse light housing to body screws for 67 and 69 Barracudas. These will have the same head style as stock OEM screws, however they will not be a self tapping sheetmetal screw thread. These will be a machine thread, and come with U nuts or as some people call them clip nuts. I have a set of OEM screws to measure for the short housings, would need to know the length of these used for the long housings. If theres enough interest in this, i can press forward and make these to sell on the forum. They will come as a set of 4 screws with 4 clip nuts. Will require the mounting holes in the valance to be enlarged for the screws and corresponding clip nuts.

Last edited:
It seems these are near impossible to find, so I am working on a way to come up with reverse light housing to body screws for 67 and 69 Barracudas. These will have a very similar head style to stock, however they will not be a self tapping sheetmetal screw thread. These will be a machine thread, and come with U nuts or as some people call them clip nuts. I have a set of OEM screws to measure for the short housings, would need to know the length of these used for the long housings. If theres enough interest in this, i will press forward and make these to sell on the forum. They will come as a set of 4 screws with 4 clip nuts. Will require the mounting holes in the valance to be enlarged for the screws and corresponding clip nuts.

Sounds awesome Matt,

I've been trying to find these screws for awhile. It doesn't seem like anybody repops them or has NOS. I've talked to 2 or 3 fastener companies that specialize in automotive restoration fasteners and haven't gotten anywhere. To get a set that would be great as that's the last thing I need on my B//U lights.

Good job IMHO,
Dan

If not enough interest, i will make up 3 sets. 2 for my cars, and a set for you Dan.

If not enough interest, i will make up 3 sets. 2 for my cars, and a set for you Dan.

I may take 2 sets, just in case another 67 or 69 Barracuda wanders it's way on to my property, lol. I seem to have a knack for finding stray animals and Mopar projects, lol. Still thinking about the old Dodge truck too.

Dan

Wow, i thought there would be more responses on the poll than this.
I really did as well. I think that's why I have a Wile E. Coyote complex, my ACME plans just don't seem to work. At least 2 other people said they would (hope they would follow through), so 2 sets for you, 2 for me (yes I think I still want 2 sets) and 2 other sets is 6 so far, let's hope more people chime in.

Aloha, i could use 2 sets . if any are for sale? New or used. Mahalo, C

Ordered the materials to do 12 sets of these this morning. I didnt want to go crazy and order a whole lot of parts if only a few people want them. I will be keeping 2 sets, and have 2 sets tentatively sold to imfurys. Havent come up with a price yet. Still trying to come up with something thats reasonable and also conciders my time and effort on this as well.

These will be sent in natural stainless color. Buyer can paint the heads or leave them stainless. I was told that these were chromed screws, however original ones i pulled from my 67 were black oxide finish to blend in with the painted area on the lamp housing.

Last edited:
I'll check the ones on my car ('67).
Have you checked Restoration Specialty Supplies?
Last I looked they had a wide selection of chromed and St st oval head sheet metal and machine threaded screws.
Some are available with smaller heads. They'll be noted in the catalog as #8 with #6 head.
The front grill and headlights use chromed, and IIRC use some of the small headed screws.

Have not checked with them. I have checked with a bunch of suppliers. Nobody had these. These are what was out of my 67. I think these are correct. The car was never apart, and i have all 4. Usually people fixed stuff when these were newer cars and sometimes used what they have to put things back together with mismatched crap. Being these have a special head on them i think these were what was there when new, but then again i have nothing else to compare them to.

Screenshot_20190507-072844.png

Last edited:
Have not checked with them. I have checked with a bunch of suppliers. Nobody had these. These are what was out of my 67. I 5hink these are correct. The car was never apart, and i have all 4. Usually people fixed stuff when these were newer cars and sometimes used what they have to put things back together with mismatched crap. Being these have a special head on them i think these were what was there when new, but then again i have nothing else to compare them to.

View attachment 1715331687
Cheesehead sheetmetal screw! H'm. Thought mine were oval heads. I'll have to check.
I agree. Its sometimes hard to know what was orignal and what is early replacement.

Yeah, i noticed the housing mounting holes were countersunk, just figured it may have been the way they were designed as pre production, and then maybe decided on a screw with a flat bottom. Its a stretch here but possibly since the metal is very thin in this area and prone to cracking, maybe the countersunk screws were acting like a wedge when drawn down cracking the castings when tightened. It may be possible that chrysler just changed the screw design to what i have because of that, rather than retool the casting moulds.

I know i wouldent use countersunk screws in them because the casting is so weak in that area. Additionally the casting in this area should have extended down to the valance with the screw hole inside it, or at the very least put a piece of tubing between the casting and body with the screw going thru it. This will support the housing from the inside so the screws arent overtightened causing cracking.

I used nutserts (installed like rivets) and countersunk machine screws which I ground the edges off to clear the housing. Worked well for me.

back up screws 1.jpg

back up lightson.jpg

I guess the consensus is in. Somebody must have swapped my countersunk ones out with the ones that are/were in there when i got the car. Oh well. Gonna make 2 sets that look like the ones i currently have out of stainless steel, and then abandon the idea. Thanks for the pix so i know whats supposed to be in there.

Well don't go by my memory. I prob have notes somewheres. But I'll just take a look next time I'm down at the garage and have a couple minutes. Could be some variations due to production dates or assembly plant. My car is definately not a premo 'surviver' so it would just be another data point. sorry.

Matt for me it doesnt matter as long as head sinks in(did I just say that?) and sits flush. Mine will be painted black anyway to blend in with black ring on housing. My 69s are around somewhere but bagged and tagged Lord knows where lol

FWIW. I beleive the one in the center is original.
Chromed steel, philips, #8 sheet metal screw 1.25" long with #6 oval head philips
upload_2020-9-24_9-30-43.png

On the left is a #8 oval head, and on the right is a #8 with #6 head, 1.5" long from Restoration specialty Supplies, item 1932.
I beleive they get them through Auvco.

On the valence I did have to back up one hole with another piece of sheet metal.
upload_2020-9-24_9-37-10.png

One item that could use better reproduction is the gaskets.
I know for a while the only solution was to split a hose.
That's similar to what DMT sells in their kit, and it works OK.
But it would still be nice to have a proper repro available. I know, I know - you can't always get what you want... LOL
upload_2020-9-24_9-43-39.png

upload_2020-9-24_9-42-18.png

It seems these are near impossible to find, so I am working on a way to come up with reverse light housing to body screws for 67 and 69 Barracudas. These will have the same head style as stock OEM screws, however they will not be a self tapping sheetmetal screw thread. These will be a machine thread, and come with U nuts or as some people call them clip nuts. I have a set of OEM screws to measure for the short housings, would need to know the length of these used for the long housings. If theres enough interest in this, i can press forward and make these to sell on the forum. They will come as a set of 4 screws with 4 clip nuts. Will require the mounting holes in the valance to be enlarged for the screws and corresponding clip nuts.

Sorry, didn't see this poll when it came out. If it's not too late I'd buy a set as well.

-
Back