67 antenna repair

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok I had a thread started about the damaged connection on dads 67 cuda. I had all correct factory pieces, BUT the cable connection to the base of the mast was buggered. Apparently it was never designed to be taken apart. I drove up to National Moparts as I needed a antenna gasket, and I grabbed a set of wiper pivot seals:banghead: as well as a chunk of spare radio antenna wire.

1st pic is of the essential pieces for the connection. Small wire piece with terminal end comes out of the white plastic piece. It only comes out one way(when reinstalled terminal is held firmly inside white plastic piece)

Next I bared a section of cable and slid on bottom piece that connects to bottom of mast.
Slid on plastic insulator on a good ways so I didnt melt it when soldering connection to copper. Sorry didnt take pics.

After soldering terminal to copper, I slid the plastic insulator up and seated the terminal. Connector was then set in bottom of mast. Outside weaved ground wire was attached with a small hose clamp to outside bottom of mast...LOL Actually works good, I wrappred it in elec tape to help protect it.

I fed antenna cable in thru the hole behind lower kick panel. Used cable still had the radio connection so I plugged it in, but now workee....:violent1:
I used the plug in from the aftermarket antenna that Dad had installed and spliced that one with the new end I just made.

Stripped each end to bare copper, used a butt connector and crimped together....taped it up. Then overlapped the weaved ground wire and taped again.

Plugged the new end in and it works!!

Sorry I didnt take more pics, I was in a rush and forgot....

Got tunes!! Dad sprung for Wards Radio to

Attachments

• 2014-07-07 19.15.38 (Medium).jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 2014-07-09 18.37.15 (Medium).jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 2014-07-09 18.38.08 (Medium).jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 2014-07-09 20.14.10 (Medium).jpg
    19 KB · Views: 96
  • 2014-07-09 20.14.52 (Medium).jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 2014-07-09 20.24.47 (Medium).jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 2014-07-09 20.25.00 (Medium).jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 101
I was wondering if you were going to end up trying that. :)

Cool.

Steve, I can TOP THAT STORY!!!!

Back in the "Motorola Days" were were in a dispach pulling out old cables finishing up an upgrade. Typical dropped ceiling, typical mess from years and years of upgrades, neglect, and hack jobs by others.

So I was "digging around" up there trying to figure out "what was what."

Here's a big RF cable, RG-8U size. Bear in mind all police / sheriff comm gear is VHF minimum, some is UHF, and nowadays, some is "up there" at 800 'n some mhz

I pulled on what turned out to be a UHF antenna cable AND IT WAS SPLICED WITH WIRE NUTS

Some "carpenter" or "HVAC" guy had probably "hit" it with a sawzall, etc, and just decided to "fix" it.

-
Back