67 Barracuda alternator with 2 FLD connections

-
It's possible to use the Innova clamp with your existing meter? Maybe?

upload_2020-5-27_13-52-32.png

upload_2020-5-27_13-54-23.png

Their website says it works with all multimeters. Been an electronic guy my whole life. Surprising I didn’t get one before now.

Their website says it works with all multimeters. Been an electronic guy my whole life. Surprising I didn’t get one before now.
Just added some pics from instruction book to previous post.
If I understand correctly it can be read as voltage and then scaled to amps. When I used it their automotive meter, I could set it to show amps directly. I guess any meter with those mV/A channels built in would do the same.

Please read carefully what is being posted here. Regardless of "round back" or "square back" a round back can have ONE or TWO field connections. The two is known as ISOLATED FIELD and was used starting in '70 but!!!........

There are TWO regulators. The "up through 69" regulator hooks to switched ignition power and the field wire and you ground it. Done That is used with a single terminal field alternator. If you have TWO simply ground the remaining field

The flat looking electronic used in 70/ later wires exactly the same EXCEPT the alternator must have two field connections, and the last field terminal is wired to switched ignition power.

So the "flat" 70/ later gets ground, ignition power, wire to one field, and second field goes to switched power

The early 69/ earlier regulator gets ground, ignition power, and wire to the only field connection

Simple

Let me get this straight .
If I am running a 2 terminal alt and an elctronic regulator on my 69 the 2nd terminal has to be grounded ?

I have done so many upgrades to the electrical ( headlight relays , amp gauge bypass , electronic ignition ... ) its hard to keep this straight . And the FSM cant help .

^^ yes or no, depending on what your calling a terminal^^

2 field terminals can use either method but to use an EVR, you must use dual field without a strap (EVR provides the grounds). mechanical VR needs a strap on 2nd field term as it does not provide a ground...see below

2 terminal (lets call it 2 isolated field terminals) alt gets steady power into one field via electronic VR as the fields are isolated and the 2nd field (does not matter which one) get a variable ground from the EVR. This regulates the alternator output voltage. The single field alt get a variable power in (by pulse width breaker point and a resistive feed from mechanical VR). Dual field will work with a mechanical VR with one field strapped to ground as shown with big jumper screwed to case. IIRC the cost was not the issue, it was a safer design (no regulator points to weld shut and cause a runaway alternator) and then to more closely regulate the power for the new Electronic ignition for 73 model year as is included in any ECU ignition upgrade. The more common squareback alternator had serviceable diodes while the older roundbacks pressed in diodes were not. Just evolution of the alternator.

Last edited:
Sorry Pishta... did you say yes ?
Wiring is like a second language... I can speak one word at a time but not comprehend an entire sentence.. lol

QUOTE="pishta, post: 1972994979, member: 383"]^^ yes or no, depending on what your calling a terminal^^

1 spade FLD terminal and one 3/8 power lug YES

2 terminal (lets call it 2 isolated field terminals) alt gets steady power into one field via electronic VR as the fields are isolated and the 2nd field (does not matter which one) get a variable ground from the EVR. This regulates the alternator output voltage. The single field alt get a variable power in (by pulse width breaker point and a resistive feed from mechanical VR). Dual field will work with a mechanical VR with one field strapped to ground as shown with big jumper screwed to case. IIRC the cost was not the issue, it was a safer design (no regulator points to weld shut and cause a runaway alternator) and then to more closely regulate the power for the new Electronic ignition for 73 model year as is included in any ECU ignition upgrade. The more common squareback alternator had serviceable diodes while the older roundbacks pressed in diodes were not. Just evolution of the alternator.[/QUOTE]

Sorry Pishta... did you say yes ?
Wiring is like a second language... I can speak one word at a time but not comprehend an entire sentence.. lol

QUOTE="pishta, post: 1972994979, member: 383"]^^ yes or no, depending on what your calling a terminal^^

1 spade FLD terminal and one 3/8 power lug YES

2 terminal (lets call it 2 isolated field terminals) alt gets steady power into one field via electronic VR as the fields are isolated and the 2nd field (does not matter which one) get a variable ground from the EVR. This regulates the alternator output voltage. The single field alt get a variable power in (by pulse width breaker point and a resistive feed from mechanical VR). Dual field will work with a mechanical VR with one field strapped to ground as shown with big jumper screwed to case. IIRC the cost was not the issue, it was a safer design (no regulator points to weld shut and cause a runaway alternator) and then to more closely regulate the power for the new Electronic ignition for 73 model year as is included in any ECU ignition upgrade. The more common squareback alternator had serviceable diodes while the older roundbacks pressed in diodes were not. Just evolution of the alternator.
[/QUOTE]
You got it. I don't know how much safer it is, but theoretically anyway it is.

It appears I may have mine wired wrong . I had nothing connected to second field.
Which regulator do you have?

Assuming you have two isolated field terminals.
Regulator with the triangular connector plug:
1. Wire from an alternator field terminal to the regulator's bottom corner terminal. (traditionally green wire '72 -76 A body)
2. Wire from ignition to the other field terminal. Also connecting to the top terminal on the regulator (voltage sensing).
upload_2020-5-31_12-21-41.png

upload_2020-5-19_19-0-19-png.png
upload_2020-5-19_19-1-37-png.png

Regulator with connection on top and bottom, whether electronic or mechanical:
1. Wire from an alternator field terminal to ground.
2. Wire from voltage regulator to the alternator's other field terminal.

upload_2020-5-31_12-26-38.png

Electronic version sold by FBO
upload_2020-5-31_12-29-39.png

Standard VR128 is another electronic version that also controls the feed.
The wire to the field attaches to the stud. Ignition wire pushes into the connector with the red wire.

upload_2020-5-31_12-32-38.png

Last edited:
So I should just ground the 2nd field post on the Alt if I am running the FBO ?

Does it help to see what those terminals are?
They are attached to carbon brushes which provide contact to a pair of slip rings on the rotor.

One installs horizonatlly, the other vertically.

upload_2019-4-13_15-33-27-png-png.png

Each end of the rotor's wire windings is soldered to a slip ring.
One is visible here
upload_2020-5-31_13-14-54.png

Thanks. That does help. The schematics indicate a (+ and - ) which confused me.

So I should just ground the second terminal back to the alt housing ?

Got it ! Thx

I have several wiring related issues at the moment and just want to male sure I dont burn my project to the ground . Lol

Got it ! Thx

I have several wiring related issues at the moment and just want to male sure I dont burn my project to the ground . Lol
always fun chasing multiple problems. as you go through fixing everything make good notes and draw out what you have and the changes.

-
Back