67 Barracuda convertible

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
This forum arrived at just the right time. I`m about a month into the restoration of my 67 Barracuda convertible. The engine and trans are both out as well as the suspension and the task of dealing with rust is in full swing. The floor pans in the front have been replaced and I`m now working on the inner fenders.

IM000694 (Small).JPG

IM000749 (Small).JPG

IM000733 (Small).JPG

IM000734 (Small).JPG

IM000747 (Small).JPG

IM000742 (Small).JPG

IM000755 (Small).JPG

IM000762 (Small).JPG

IM000759 (Small).JPG

IM000763 (Small).JPG

The inner fenders are in place after attaching them with screws they were tack welded in place, then the screws were removed and they were welded in place. The inner fenders and firewall were both sandblasted and all welds were ground smooth. Some body putty to the joints, an afternoon with the block sander and a clean up with the air gun and tack cloth. The paint went on in 3 coats, a couple runs to fix and the engine compartment will be ready for reassembly. What I would like to do with this restoration is to get the suspension, brakes, and drivetrain back together and in the car so I can move the car ,or even take it places for help with the rest of the restoration. There is so much metal work to be done on this car(never left N.Y.until now) that I`ll be replacing the 1/4`s and trunk extensions. The floors and inner fenders are only the start. I`ll continue adding pics as I progress and I`m all ears if anybody`s got advice, shortcuts, etc.. they`d like to add. Here`s a couple pics of the engine compartment as she is now, with 3 coats of 68 Matador Red (same as 67`s Bright Red). As I toil my dog Dexter sleeps, and after 14 years, he still doesn`t know what end to put on the pillow!

IM000768 (Small).JPG

IM000769 (Small).JPG

IM000770 (Small).JPG

IM000771 (Small).JPG

IM000772 (Small).JPG

IM000773 (Small).JPG

I am rebuilding my 67 ragtop as well. I have put new front frame rails,inner fenders,quarters,trunk floor, trunk floor extensions,not to mention interior etc. etc.. If I can be of any assistance drop me a line. Do you have any parts you need or want to get rid of?

looking at the progress you've made makes me want to go work on my '68 in the middle of the night. On of these days my engine bay will look that good. Keep up with the pics, it helps to get my off my lazy tail.

looking at the progress you've made makes me want to go work on my '68 in the middle of the night. On of these days my engine bay will look that good. Keep up with the pics, it helps to get my off my lazy tail. I feel more like the dog.

67ragtop said:
I am rebuilding my 67 ragtop as well. I have put new front frame rails,inner fenders,quarters,trunk floor, trunk floor extensions,not to mention interior etc. etc.. If I can be of any assistance drop me a line. Do you have any parts you need or want to get rid of?

Wow and I thought I was up the creek without a paddle! Thank you 67ragtop for your offer, I will assuredly call on you if need be. Thank you all as well, I`ll keep the progress pics coming.- John

[QUOTE='68-340-S]looking at the progress you've made makes me want to go work on my '68 in the middle of the night. On of these days my engine bay will look that good. Keep up with the pics, it helps to get my off my lazy tail.[/QUOTE]

I`m glad it`s motivating for you, as you can see (by the photos) I work on it day or night, whenever I have a little time to spend on it. I just wish I could remember to take more pictures of the work in it`s various stages.

this is a great thread. I think I will do the same with my 66 Valiant ragtop. Looks great. the floor looks real nice

You have done a mighty fine job with it so far. Looking forward to the finished pic. I am the same boat as you with a 65 dart conert. Floor is pretty much gone. Luckly the inner fenders are stuill in good as as is the trunk.

tn_floorin65dart.jpg

I just got my 67 convertible home last night. It's got a little rust, but I don't think it will be too hard to deal with.

Today was a productive day, I got the suspension all put together and installed on the car. I bought a complete kit from PST, about $400.00, but included most EVERYTHING! I also found a set of HD Monroe shocks at my local parts store for $11.88 ea. and I got my 10% off too. I paid that much for the same shocks 25 years ago! Bravo Monroe!! The suspension all went together smoothly with the exception of the 2 bushings that the sway bar pass through. A word of advice," if your sway bar`s bushings are okay, don`t replace them". I spent at least two hours replacing those two !@#$%^&* bushings, and when I went to the service manual for advice, they suggest to replace the entire sway bar assembly! LOL! I guess Chrysler knew what they were talking about. I also got the wheels back on the car so I can set it down and installed the steering column, m/c, and wiper motor.

IM000774 (Small).JPG

IM000776 (Small).JPG

IM000782 (Small).JPG

I hope to get the engine installed next week, all 180 neck breaking horses. LOL! With the help of a couple of FABO members the engine`s nearly complete and except for a (taller) throttle cable bracket and an air cleaner, it`s ready to go. I want to get the drivetrain in and then I`ll start tackling the RUST again!!!

IM000780 (Small).JPG

Time was on my side this week ,so I decided to install the engine. A little gas leak at the filter but after practically falling into the engine compartment, this little guy fired right up! I couldn`t run it but a minute as the cooling system is not in place, I did manage to get a timing light on it. Once the radiator is back from being recored I`ll see about the oil pressure,temperature, and charging system. Right now all looks good. Here`s some pics of the engine going in.... I did this on my own ,and it was the easiest engine I`ve ever installed, went in in just a few minutes! It allowed me time to hook up most everything ,but I still need to find a higher throttle bracket. I`m waiting on new brake lines and once those are installed ,I`ll begin working on the rust again.

IM000785 (Small).JPG

IM000786 (Small).JPG

IM000789 (Small).JPG

IM000790 (Small).JPG

IM000793 (Small).JPG

IM000794 (Small).JPG

IM000071 (Small).JPG

IM000073 (Small).JPG

IM000074 (Small).JPG

Jim Lusk said:
I just got my 67 convertible home last night. It's got a little rust, but I don't think it will be too hard to deal with.

Hello Jim- I saw your car in the garage; it looks like it`s in pretty good shape. It should make a nice ride! Congrats on your new acquisition!!

Yeah, it's pretty straight. I haven't looked under the carpet yet, but it does need soem trunk repair and slight quarter panel repair, but it will be one of those "easy restos", sort of.

Fantastic work! You're giving me inspiration now! Just curious...what was the timeline from pic #1 to the last?

Jim Lusk said:
Yeah, it's pretty straight. I haven't looked under the carpet yet, but it does need soem trunk repair and slight quarter panel repair, but it will be one of those "easy restos", sort of.

Good luck with it, and post some pictures of it as you get going on the restoration.

Captainkirk said:
Fantastic work! You're giving me inspiration now! Just curious...what was the timeline from pic #1 to the last?

Thanks, I get inspired by many here as well! The very first photo in this thread is of the car when we first got it in late July. The first photo of the floors ,etc.. was about 2 weeks ago. I spent August pulling the car apart and chasing down parts for the drivetrain and rebuilding/putting the engine back together. Only in the last couple weeks have I started to work the rust, but I`m usually pretty steadfast at tasks and unless I run out of time, money , or inspiration I should move along at a fairly good clip.

Longgone said:
Thanks, I get inspired by many here as well! The very first photo in this thread is of the car when we first got it in late July. The first photo of the floors ,etc.. was about 2 weeks ago. I spent August pulling the car apart and chasing down parts for the drivetrain and rebuilding/putting the engine back together. Only in the last couple weeks have I started to work the rust, but I`m usually pretty steadfast at tasks and unless I run out of time, money , or inspiration I should move along at a fairly good clip.
WOW! That's incredible progress by my timeline! My resto is going quite slow...but steady. I'll begin posting prog reports and pix in "Part 2" of my Duster project soon.

-
Back