'67 Barracuda Notchback - Father/Son build

-

TexasDeuce

Reaction score
So my 19 year old son finally found his dream car. This will be a father son build...not a full on resto job.
We are going to build this to be a driver NOT a garage or trailer queen. We have worked on several old VW Beetles and various Hot Rods but, this is our first Mopar Muscle car.

Here are the details on our project.
SBM 360 - mild cam
727 auto trans
Sure Grip rear end

Don't know much else about the car other than it hauls serious a$$.
Here are some pics as we found it. More pics as the build progresses.

As we go through the car we learn something new about it every time.
The positive:
  • The car runs and drives
    The brakes work
    The lights work
    Starts right up every day...even after a week or so of not being touched
    The gauges all work
    No major rust issues

The Negative:
    • Has a nasty bump on the right front - needs front fender, header piece and grille sections
      It sits kinda high in the back
      Needs front suspension work - hopefully not too bad
      Needs dash pad, radio, and electrical work to get all the gauges to light up when we turn on the lights.

• Here is what we have done so far...
        We began by checking all the wiring and found some issues under the dash and by that I mean a whole bunch of wires tangled up, cut up, taped up and just left hanging.
        Did a tune up, oil change, fuel filter change and took it for a ride. We have done some cosmetic touches while we locate all the parts needed to get this thing whole again. We changed the valve covers and got a new [used] dual snorkel air cleaner.
        Here are a few pics of the progress.

Attachments

• 5Id5Kf5H33Ed3k93K7c6be6d3d1b7c7de10aa.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 553
  • 5L25H25Jc3E33M33Fac6bfdeddb7c3c2b1138.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 545
  • 5Lc5N65Jd3G53L83pac6bfd93c019d99917b3.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 558
Nice notch back. Has it always been black ?

There is a few members on here with parts for your project. Try getting a hold of (search) Barracudakid on here and send him a PM. Nose pieces grilles are not to hard to find. A good right fender might be a little more difficult.
The dash harness you can buy new or used or like I did, rebuilt it. the packard 56 connectors are available and the harness isn't very complex at all. wiring schematic, but a google search away and will likely lead you back here.

Looks like a great start for a father son project! Welcome aboard!!

Love those old notchbacks. I am currently doing a 72 Duster with my son. It's an absolute blast! Enjoy you project, especially that special time with your son.
And welcome to a great site with some great people and great advice!

Cool deal man! I'm happy for you that you'll have the opportunity to work this with your son. Promises to be a good time-post up plenty of pics!

Thanks for the encouragement.

Here is some progress under the hood...

Attachments

• IMG_3845.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_4001.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 444
  • IMG_4003.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 493
We bought a fender to replace the damaged one on the Cuda but after some clean up we realized....we are back to square one. This one had some damage concealed by a bit of body filler.

That is the gamble we take when buying parts on Craigslist...:wack:

oh well so we are looking for another rt. front fender.

here are some pics of the fender damage on our car [note how the fender was welded to the body at the seam under the door]

**If anyone has a lead on an ok Right front fender for our Cuda, drop us a line...

Attachments

• IMG_4037b.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 444
  • IMG_4035b.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 447
  • IMG_4034b.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 420
...and then some pics of what we found on the replacement fender.

Attachments

• IMG_4032b.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_4031b.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 459
  • IMG_4028b.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_4027b.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 427
Ouch! Built a similar car in 94.Went for the late 60's street machine look.Combo was almost identica to yours(mild rv cam 360/727,1800 high stall/3.55 S,G). 1st pass,13.99@101,best [email protected] notch is the one I wish I still owned.

Nice project, exactly what I'm looking for.

Sucks about that fender. Looks like it's mostly rust free? If it is, you could cut off the dog leg and patch a straight but rusty fender, which you could probably get for next to nothing.

Wow i had one when i was in High school back in the early 70's. love that car. my cuda looked like this one.. this is not my car but it looked just like it.. Gave 600.00 bucks for it..

Attachments

• i8995.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 418
The bumper is zero protection so you wont find many of these fenders that haven't been punched in the nose. Working that damage from the inside is nearly impossible too.
Cutting the headlight house to gain access is more effort than put forth by most body shops.
Until the aftermarket offers outragously priced reproductions, we have no choice other than work with what we have.
Nobody likes the though of restore, new paint, etc.. over body filler but that's what "miricle mud" is meant for. Those who have fenders that are nearly rusted away would love to have a solid rust free piece with a little mud in the nose.

My son wanted to go with Police Dog Dish Caps.

Came out pretty nice. See before and after pics below.

We will be working on the right fender and grille this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_4039b.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_4041b.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_4043b.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_4046b.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_4052b.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_4054b.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 362
Looks good with the dog dish caps, big improvement

Next is new springs and getting rid of the extensions :D

(if you do, I highly suggest cal-tracs and mono leafs)

Yes that is next on our list. We were just talking about that. Just not sure if we need to replace the springs or just the shackles.

Thoughts/advice?

Springs gotta go,,,with those shackles its says they are done. And shackles look horrid. But nice project, Notch's are one of my favs and glad to see you and your son are enjoying it, my 16 & 13 yr old boys couldn't be less interested so far. Hopefully that will change. Cheers

Springs gotta go,,,with those shackles its says they are done. And shackles look horrid. But nice project, Notch's are one of my favs and glad to see you and your son are enjoying it, my 16 & 13 yr old boys couldn't be less interested so far. Hopefully that will change. Cheers

In the car hobby in general, or Mopars?

I had the same shackles on my car when I got them. They really bend up the springs. Ride height was so much better with new springs, even with 6" less shackle in the back.

In the car hobby in general, or Mopars?

Car hobby in general. When I was 16 I couldn't wait to get my license and snatch the keys out moms hand and hit the road. We are "forcing" our oldest to do driver training right now and he really could care less. I wanted to take my 13 yr old to a weekend at the drag races two weeks ago and he looked at me like I was crazy. I've been a car guy forever and a Mopar guy since 18. I don't think either of my boys will ever be. In a month or so I will be finished my Demon, after that I'm hoping to talk one or both into doing a project together, maybe that will peek their interest.

ESPO stock 340 springs with stock shackles will give you a good ride height. That is what is on my car.

The dog dish hub caps look great.The motor cleaned up nice to.The valve covers and air cleaner are a nice touch.

Attachments

• P4140017.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 309
The dog dish hub caps look great.The motor cleaned up nice to.The valve covers and air cleaner are a nice touch.

Man your car is damn near what I'm wanting to build...only difference being color, wheels and hood scoop.

You have a build thread or page that describes it in detail?

-
Back