67 Barracuda Sway Bars

-

tubbedamx

Location Boise, Idaho
Reaction score
Looking for advice for a set of front and rear sway bars for a 67 Notchback Barracuda.
After reading many posts I believe I am interested in 1 1/8 front and 1 inch for the rear.
There’s more than a few options and I have never bought or installed sway bars. As a drag racer I always removed them. If there’s knowledge for a proven combo for this application I would like to hear about it.
Wanting to carve the mountain roads here in Idaho and rip around a few cones “Parking Lot Races”

Front:
Stock ‘67 273V8 front cross member
73 non tabbed lower control arms
73 disc brakes
Calipers are on the rear of the rotors

Rear:
8 3/4 rear
Disc brakes

thanks in advance

1 1/8 Hellwig front
There is an option for wide backspace tires. It has a kink in the sway bar arms. That will allow you to run 5" 5.5" backspacing 17+" rims in the future if you wish.

Hellwig adjustable rear. Has 3? holes so you can adjust stiffness.

On the street, my notchback with 1 1/4" front sway bars, 1.12" torsion bars, and a rear bar are fine. But on the track on high speed high G corners, it's loose in the back. So I have entirely disconnect it there.

Or

Hotchkis is more expensive but they have a nice front sway bar that is narrow like a 73-76 style that you weld on tabs (provided). But it mount to front of K-member like the 67-72 style sway bar. So it's like a Hybrid of the two.

The Hellwig front bar you want is 55917, that’s the one that was modified to be a “pro-touring” bar. It will allow for wider tires up front and is a hollow, 1.25” diameter bar. Specs say up to 5.75” backspace with that one using 18” wheels, which would be enough for 255’s. The standard ‘67-72 Hellwig front bar is the 5906, it’s a solid bar and 1-1/8”, but even 245’s up front interfere with that one. The rear Hellwig is 6907. The Hellwig front bar should come with bolt on or weld on tabs for the non tabbed LCA’s.

The Hotchkis sway bars are super nice, although they are a bit more expensive. They will clear at least a 6” rim backspace with 18’s, so up to a 275/35/18 up front which is about as wide as you can go in the front without really cutting stuff up.

I use Hellwig bars on my Duster, they’re pretty nice. But I have a ‘74 K so I use the ‘73+ version of the Hellwig.

Thank you both for the information, that’s what I was looking for

the hunt is on
Summit list the front for $303 and the rear for $227

any pictures showing the sway bar installed on the front cross member?

Last edited:
Thank you both for the information, that’s what I was looking for

the hunt is on
Summit list the front for $303 and the rear for $227

any pictures showing the sway bar installed on the front cross member?

which sway bars are you hunting for?

then I can look for appropriate picture

which sway bars are you hunting for?

then I can look for appropriate picture

Thank You, The hellwig bars, I guess front and rear if there’s photos

Are there any active hellwig dealers on on this forum or preferred vendors? Summit is back ordered on the front bar till April and I don’t think Jegs offers those part numbers

I have Helwig bars both front and rear on both my cars . My 68 Fastback is set up just like yours with 4 wheels discs . The fronts are later model discs and lower control arms without tabs. I used the brackets supplied by Helwig but would prefer to weld news ones on.
I will try to round up some good pics . Of course since I live about 5 miles away you could always stop by and check them out .

The rears I welded the brackets to the housing to eliminate the Ubolts.

095A46B0-F2D0-4574-90B3-20C36B46FDFB.jpeg
7429AFE7-3BA3-43B9-9CBE-08B99084C8C2.jpeg
8825D084-526E-4E49-8FE3-F1A4BBF49062.jpeg
3444ACE7-5C8F-423E-90CF-F90B3D4CCF50.jpeg

Rear install on the Swinger

thanks for the pictures, always nice to have a reference to look at along with those paper instructions

MBaird When the weather warms up, I'll hit you up about checking out your hotrod. It looks super clean under there.

Warms up ? It was 51* on th way to work ..lol
Those pics are ofthe Swinger . the Barracuda is not as clean . It gets driven often and was not rottiseried like the Dart .

thanks for the pictures, always nice to have a reference to look at along with those paper instructions

MBaird When the weather warms up, I'll hit you up about checking out your hotrod. It looks super clean under there.

-
Back