68 Cuda fastback suspension rebuild...

-
Flip the bracket, mine works great...
JOE

Are you guys also using 17" wheels though? I think these sway bars are designed with a 15" wheel in mind... I have 17x8 with 5.72 backspace...I'll flip the mount though and report back...

Are you guys also using 17" wheels though? I think these sway bars are designed with a 15" wheel in mind... I have 17x8 with 5.72 backspace...I'll flip the mount though and report back...

I think your wheel will hit wherever you put the end mount. I don't think that bar will ever work with your combo.

I think your wheel will hit wherever you put the end mount. I don't think that bar will ever work with your combo.

I think I'm gonna have to agree with you on this one...Flipping the upper mount doesn't work...I JUST tried that right now...So, FormulaS340, I think switching K-members to the 73-up style MIGHT solve my problem...I'm left with no other choice, so I'm gonna try it. I just need to locate one, and the corresponding Lower control arms with the tabs in the middle...

Well, I'm going to try ONE more thing...I'm sending this bar back to Hellwig, and Dave is going to make me a custom one, free of charge...I hope my measurements will be accurate enough...Just gotta wait a couple weeks turn around time...

Well, I'm going to try ONE more thing...I'm sending this bar back to Hellwig, and Dave is going to make me a custom one, free of charge...I hope my measurements will be accurate enough...Just gotta wait a couple weeks turn around time...

That sounds like great service. How can you not use his product? The world needs more Daves from Hellwig.

On my 68 Barracuda the anti-sway bar is probably within an inch of the wheel when the steering wheel is turned fully. The wheels I`m running have 3.75" backspacing. I can imagine what problems you`d encounter trying to run wheels with a backspacing over 5".

That sounds like great service. How can you not use his product? The world needs more Daves from Hellwig.

On my 68 Barracuda the anti-sway bar is probably within an inch of the wheel when the steering wheel is turned fully. The wheels I`m running have 3.75" backspacing. I can imagine what problems you`d encounter trying to run wheels with a backspacing over 5".

Yes, he has been very patient with me, and we have talked over the phone a couple times...I'm glad I'm able to work with him.

I think I'm gonna have to agree with you on this one...Flipping the upper mount doesn't work...I JUST tried that right now...So, FormulaS340, I think switching K-members to the 73-up style MIGHT solve my problem...I'm left with no other choice, so I'm gonna try it. I just need to locate one, and the corresponding Lower control arms with the tabs in the middle...

Would the Firmfeel sway bar be any different??

sway%20a2.jpg

I plan to use 17X8 with either a 4.5 or 4.75 back spacing... but don't have em yet, now you got me nervous...

Are you at locked when it rubs, or not quite???

JOE

Okay, just an update. I made a mock up sway bar out of 1" electrical conduit. I made a full scale blue print of the old bar and drew in lines of where the bends should take place on the new sway bar. I sent them to Dave at Hellwig, and he is in the process of making me a new bar right now. He's sending it out today and it should be here by the weekend...Here's a pic he sent me, you can kind of see my blueprint in the background lol...

55906 with whl clrnc 001.jpg

I have to reiterate, that it just awesome service! I will definitely visit Hellwig if I should need suspension parts.

I have to reiterate, that it just awesome service! I will definitely visit Hellwig if I should need suspension parts.

Yes, Dave is an awesome individual. He has helped me a lot and has been emailing me frequently keeping me updated on the progress of the new bar. I said with all this work I hope it finally fits, and he said, if this one still doesn't fit, he's not stopping until it does!!

Okay, just an update. I made a mock up sway bar out of 1" electrical conduit. I made a full scale blue print of the old bar and drew in lines of where the bends should take place on the new sway bar. I sent them to Dave at Hellwig, and he is in the process of making me a new bar right now. He's sending it out today and it should be here by the weekend...Here's a pic he sent me, you can kind of see my blueprint in the background lol...

That's pretty clever!

Just read the thread from start to finish and I must say you have posted a $hitload of great info!! Thats awesome thanks and keep up the great work!!

OKAY Everybody!!! My custom sway bar came from Hellwig today!!!! Here it is!!!!! On the bottom is the POS electrical conduit that I bent to get my measurements. I'm putting it on tonight to see if the new sway bar will fit!!!

nn3xtt.jpg

And here's the first design that didn't work for my application:

20sc2s3.jpg

Okay, I got the new bar on and it FITS!!!!!! I have clearance everywhere I need it to be!

Heck yea, I'm very happy with it now. Dave was awesome as heck! Now I just need an alignment, install the floor shifter, and get some exhaust work done...

Outstanding! I'll be contacting Hellwig for my suspension needs.

Customer Service is KEY! And, unfortunately like common sense, isn't all the "common" anymore.

Here's some pics of the install of my new sway bar just to keep you picture hungry people happy....Tomorrow I SHOULD be able to FINALLY get an alignment....

11gn47c.jpg

These 2 pics shows the bends made in the bar to clear the tires at full lock. And also the end link mounts on the sway bar are canted to give me more clearance away from the strut rod.

Passenger side:
5ecndw.jpg

Driver side:
23lxkiq.jpg

We are going to create a new part number for this bar as I am sure that Mopardude318 will not be the first to run 17in wheels with a lot of backspace. One note is that this bar will not fit with the factory sway bar tabs on the control arms as it will hit the strut rods when mounted to the factory tabs. I don't think that will be much of an issue for those that are modifiying their vehicles this much.

We are going to create a new part number for this bar as I am sure that Mopardude318 will not be the first to run 17in wheels with a lot of backspace. One note is that this bar will not fit with the factory sway bar tabs on the control arms as it will hit the strut rods when mounted to the factory tabs. I don't think that will be much of an issue for those that are modifiying their vehicles this much.

Hi Dave! :cheers:

Trying to keep one step ahead in the game...I'm almost positive the same situation would apply to 66-69 B-bodies as well. Something to think about.

-
Back