67 barracuda voltage limiter

-

retractable

Reaction score
The temp,gas and oil gauges on my Daughters 67 Barracuda quit working. Where is the voltage limiter before I take out the cluster. Is it the same as My 66 Barracuda? Thanks

disconnect the firewall bulkhead connector. Clean and insure all contacts are good. I there are any burnt or black pins, follow that wire and clean the ground.

not on the rallye gauges 67-9 barracuda and 70-1 duster/dart w/ rallye cluster. Voltage limiter is built into the fuel gauge. Some earlier models are also the same way.

not on the rallye gauges 67-9 barracuda and 70-1 duster/dart w/ rallye cluster. Voltage limiter is built into the fuel gauge. Some earlier models are also the same way.

THIS. Some have sucessfully taken it apart, "done surgery" and disabled the internal one, and jumpered an external one into the circuit.

BE CAREFUL!! You can "eff it up"

https://www.google.com/search?q=mop...ChMIhtOnw-PqyAIVUfBjCh126gvR&biw=1025&bih=460

and.....

http://rt-eng.com/rte/index.php?title=RTE_Gauge_Faq&printable=yes

I'm currently in the process of modifying my gauges that were pegging out. The fuel gauge was fairly easy to disassembly. The most time consuming part of the job was just getting to the gauge. Waiting on my RTE voltage limiter now. Hopefully it works. Good luck!

Thanks for the help. I think I need to start by taking out the dash. But will check out the bulkhead connector also. Might need a fuel gauge .

Oh OK, I learned sumpin new today!

Oh OK, I learned sumpin new today!

Want more ?.. All vehicles had 6 volt electrical systems in the beginning. When the change to 12 volt systems came about mfgrs were faced with 2 options, redesign their instruments or limit the voltage to the instruments they had. Every mfgr including imports chose option 2. The voltage limiters already existed anyway in other applications. They only needed a way or place to install them. Fords limiter is connected with snaps like a 9 volt dry cell. Very early Chryslers , like Imperial, had the limiter housed inside the temp' gauge. GM was the first to redesign / change to 12 volt instruments. As Paul Harvey would say, "now you know the rest of the story". :)

Alright, the plot thickens. You know I thought I was on top of my game till I stumbled on over to FABO, got my foot in the door & Del gave me a rousing welcome & I been edumacating ever since. The collective tech here is off the charts!

The temp,gas and oil gauges on my Daughters 67 Barracuda quit working. Where is the voltage limiter before I take out the cluster. Is it the same as My 66 Barracuda? Thanks

Very easy and cheap to make your own limiter or solid state instrument voltage regulator or IVR. On your 67 cuda you will have to carefully uncrimp the gage face and remove it from the gage, then disable the stock limiter, leaving the fuel gage side intact so it continues to work.

I used a small pair of electronics type diagonal cutters or dikes to grip the crimps and pry them open slightly to remove the gage face

If you are interested PM me and i will send you a simple wiring schematic with part numbers on how to do this along with pix of the back of my 67 cuda cluster showing where to tap it in externally the easy way. And a pic of my cuda fuel gage opened up, and what you need to disable inside.

Thus should cost you no more than $5.00 in parts to make up one of these. I think the chip cost me $1.99. The shrink wrap cost me more than the components lol. To attach this to your cuda instrument panel circuit board the easiest way is using ring terminals and attaching the wires to the studs on the back of the panel.

Let me know if interested
Matt

-
Back