67 column in 72 Duster.

-

75slant6

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What do I have to do to get my 67 column to work in my 72 Duster? Ik the ignition is in the dash in 67, I got the ignition ditch from the 67 as well so I can mount that somewhere in the dash. I've been exhausting the 67 and 72 wiring diagrams and have only made minor headway. This is my first shot at wiring!

Man get yourself a later column and save a lot of headaches

My 72 column is a manual column and I'm puttin an auto in it for the time being so I need a column with a shifter or else an after market shifter. There's a 67 dart at the pull a part so I pulled that column and discovered the plugs are different...

Here's the thing............the earlier columns are worth a bit to guys who want them, so just sell it.

You can, with a bit of work, mod your column collar and fill it and refinish it, but there should be other stick late columns.

the things are pot metal, so a few hand tools, a bit of fabrication, JB weld and body filler...........

The last thing, of course, is the little bit of theft protection it gives you

Also four way flasher switch is on the later column, it was on the dash in 67 from my recollection. You are looking for an auto, column shift column right? You should be able to find one for cheap and save a lot of headaches. You also need all the shift linkage that goes from the column to the transmission, and dont forget a kickdown linkage. I would bet if you put a wanted add on here you would almost get one for free plus shipping. Easiest solution though is an aftermarket floor shifter and kickdown.

Here's the thing............the earlier columns are worth a bit to guys who want them, so just sell it.

You can, with a bit of work, mod your column collar and fill it and refinish it, but there should be other stick late columns.

the things are pot metal, so a few hand tools, a bit of fabrication, JB weld and body filler...........

The last thing, of course, is the little bit of theft protection it gives you

He is going backwards - taking out a floor shift column and putting in a auto, column shift column.

there is about a hundred things wrong with this picture ......just save yourself the headache and get the correct column ...neither one is like a HEMI or anything like that ....either column is readily available .....so just save the headache and get the right one....leave the fabbing to joe dirt.

Sounds good guys! Thanks! I'll be gettin a later column and trading or selling the 67 column.

But for future reference, I'm getting a rallye dash out of a 69 cuda and will either be putting it in my 72 Duster or waiting til I restore my 71. If I put it in my 72 it'll eventually be a 5 speed and my 71 will probably be an auto on the floor so either way I'll be running a floor shift column and since the 69 dash has the key in the dash how would I go about swapping that? Just rewire the while dash accordingly? or run the early harness and swap pins where needed? Or is the older dash harness plug n play with the newer engine harness?

Sounds good guys! Thanks! I'll be gettin a later column and trading or selling the 67 column.

But for future reference, I'm getting a rallye dash out of a 69 cuda and will either be putting it in my 72 Duster or waiting til I restore my 71. If I put it in my 72 it'll eventually be a 5 speed and my 71 will probably be an auto on the floor so either way I'll be running a floor shift column and since the 69 dash has the key in the dash how would I go about swapping that? Just rewire the while dash accordingly? or run the early harness and swap pins where needed? Or is the older dash harness plug n play with the newer engine harness?

there again, rally dashes are different every year ...a rally dash is not just a rally dash.... every year had differences and there was no rally dash option in 72.

If you are not picky then none of that matters but if you want the correct stuff then let me know when you get your 69 dash in hand and I might be able to work a trade with you for the correct stuff for your 71. Nothing is more sweet than a car with all the right junk in all the right places :D

check out my rally dash thread http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=234435&highlight=rally+dash+thread

I'm not too concerned about all year correct stuff. Neither car has fender tags or build sheets so I have 2 blank slates so to speak! :cheers:

-
Back