67 Convert Barracuda foamy stuff

-

msarni1

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a 67 Barracuda Convertible I am currently taking apart for restoration.
Under the windshield molding, there is some kind of foam sticky stuff holding the chrome piece to the window frame.

What is it?

And do you know where I can get it?

Or just use silicone when I put it back on?

Thanks
Mike

That foamy stuff wasn't holding the stainless tim in place. It only serves as a filler between trim and a windshield frame that was reshaped to make it stronger. I suppose you could put just about anything back in its place, even the foam in a spray can. Where can you pay too much for exactly what the factory used ? Don't know.

There should be clips that hold the molding in place. If the windshield has been replaced, the clips should have been put in with the new gasket. My '67 convertible had no clips or molding on the bottom. I got a molding off a junked Scamp and used silicone to hold it in place.

the 67 never had stainless trim at bottom of windshield. It can be put there.

Not sure what you're talking about. My experience with windshield frames is that there are five major pieces that are held in by clips on the outside and the lockstrip cavity on the inside.

The only legitimate sticky stuff I've run across is a black window sealant that does not harden. Typically, I've seen this used where a winshield installer is none to sure about the gasket sealing properly and uses this to hedge his bets.

I've also seen GE silicone pumped into every void around a windshield or rear window in lieu of proper gasketing or to make up for rust damage. This stuff hardens, but remains pliable.

Not sure what you're talking about. My experience with windshield frames is that there are five major pieces that are held in by clips on the outside and the lockstrip cavity on the inside.

The only legitimate sticky stuff I've run across is a black window sealant that does not harden. Typically, I've seen this used where a winshield installer is none to sure about the gasket sealing properly and uses this to hedge his bets.

quote]

Convertibles are different than hardtops

What he is refering to is under the stainless header panel the top seals to

The sticky foam fills the void between the botton of the SS trim and the steel windshield frame

I used foam from the hardware store. Got the thickest one they had. Don't remember if I put 2 rows or one. As far as being sticky, I would guess to make it more weather proof

00000windowframe.jpg

the convertible has A piller trim and header trim

I do have a high pitch noise at speed that I have not been able to find. Make sure whatever you use seals in all areas where the wind will travel over.

Good Luck

I didn't even look for it, just got it at the hardware store but I would check with soft seal to see if they make something for it if I were doing it now.

00000windowframe.jpg

The 67 fastback and notchback had a chrome looking plastic insert all the way around. The 67 covertible had a similar plastic piece only on the bottom. The clips and stainlees from any 68 up can be put there but you would need a section of round black lock material for the gasket. Wind noise is likely.

-
Back