67 Cuda 273 replacement options

-

goomasterc

Reaction score
Im restoring a 67 cuda convertible and need some extensive work on the engine. I was wondering if I would be better of upgrading a bit. Any recommendations??? I'm looking to add a little more speed but let's not get all carried away here! I'm sure I'll have some of you getting nutty on me!

well my question to you is what do you want to upgrade to. I mean you can go and get a gen 3 hemi and it will bolt up to your trans or even add the 5 speed truck trans behind but will have to change the trans tunel but than you are getting horse power and gas milage. and from what i hear that upgrade is not that hard to do

To be honest, I'm mechanically declined in this area. HEre are the facts:
1. Want the engine compartment to be clean
2. Like a bit more horsepower; like to put a little bit of muscle in the car
3. I have 3 boys 15, 13, and 11 that will benefit from this longer term and I don't want any more than they can handle.

Having said that, I'd like to be "all in" at $5k (or less); not sure what it would take to rebuild the existing, but I'm OK with spending some on top of that effort.. Hope this helps.

You can do a budget build on a 340/360, and get lots more horsepower than our old 273's ever made. I've got almost 7K into my 340, and everything is new except the block and crank. I would find a reputable machine shop that knows Mopar. Don't skimp on the machine work. Hope this helps.

I've been watching this thread since you originally posted it. A 273 2bbl makes about 140 net (real) horsepower. Any of the available "LA" smallblocks including the original 273 can give a boost in performance. The quote below is what makes this difficult for me to make a recommendation.......

I have 3 boys 15, 13, and 11 that will benefit from this longer term and I don't want any more than they can handle.

I'm thinking 250/300 hp will give you what you want/need, but the best way to get there is what i'm trying to figure out. Cost wise there isn't much difference between building a 273/318/360 other then you already have the 273. A really mild 360 would be a huge boost, but if you want a hotrod style engine the 318 may also be a option. Meaning a little more radical build, but not too much hp for the boy's. I'm still gonna ponder this and may recommened something later.

Go with Rick,on this one.With kids learning to drive,and you learning wrench skills.I recommend a mild 318.A 6901 Summit cam kit,a Performer intake,possibly headers.Should net an honest 50 to 75 horsepower,over a stock 318.Still idle against a stock converter,be reliable.Decent mpg's,to boot.

Any 360 built to 9:1 CR, 262 to 268 cam, stock 4bbl intake or similar aftermarket with 650 carb, manifold or headers with duals will get you 300-350hp.

...I'd like to be "all in" at $5k (or less); not sure what it would take to rebuild the existing, but I'm OK with spending some on top of that effort.. Hope this helps.

When someone asked toolmanmike how much his 273 build cost him, he answered about $3K. I'm buying parts now for mine, got the machine shop sourced, my guess is I'll come in between $2500 - $3000, too. We wanted to keep the motors original to the car. Like the guys say, however, you can get better bang for your buck with a 318 or 360 and more power.

I'm running the original 273 in my 1967 Barracuda "S" Convertible. When I rebuilt it (after 232,000 miles) I had to bore it .020 and swapped in a Comp Cams bumpstick that was just a tad hotter than the original. The machine work was top notch and after new pistons, cam, bearings, gaskets, etc I probably have about $3,000 in it. It runs great, has all the power I want and still idles smooth for the occasional parade.

Attachments

• IMG_0736.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0748.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0749.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0750.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 155
We re-did the top end in dads 273 in his "S" cuda. He left the ordering to me, so I upgraded the cam a bit from stock. New eddy 1405, and we ordered the kit from Comp Cams, new cam, lifters, dbl roller timing chain and gears and new springs. I believe the new kit was CL20-246-4. No machine work was needed other than having machine shop installed new cam bearings. Do a search under my name and you will see some of the work we did to the engine. Dad also got a new hi-stall torque converter when he bought the car. That may be something you might need as well. Pm me if you need any more info. Oh the kit was $500 and the car runs great now!

Since my 273 was seized and pulled already when I got the car, I picked up a super cheap basically stock 318 with about 2k miles on it. People practically give these things away. I'm swapping cams and actually rebuilding the 273 heads to swap on (higher compression). I'm guessing I should have close to 300hp for about 1000 bones total in the engine, carb to oil pan. Machine work alone is going to cost at least 4-500 bucks on any engine you build.

If you want to keep it numbers matching original, rebuild the 273. If the car is otherwise stock, you will probably retain enough additional value in the vehicle to offset the higher cost of building a 273.

If it's not an orginal car, or you don't care about that sort of thing go with a 318. They're cheaper to build and more cubes = more power for the same weight.

If you're looking for 273 build suggestions, check into the Egge domed pistons for the 273. They're not as tall as the factory hipo pistons and they have bigger valve reliefs. The results is more compression than flat-tops but still pump gas friendly. For camshaft, others have used the Isky E4 which is close to the factory hipo cam.

Well just a couple options here would be a 360 crate motor, carbed or EFI. The other option would be a 318 or 360 Magnum motor and the stock EFI. You'll get a complete running engine and the EFI option makes it very driveable. I'd love to build a 273 but honestly bang for the buck and driveability in your price range would tend to lean me towards a Magnum 318 or 360 with stock EFI.

-
Back