67 Cuda rocker panel question

-

thsalmon

Reaction score
I'm hoping to gain from someone's expertise here. I just found that the rear 10-12" of the inner rocker of my 67 Barracuda convertible's inner rockers have rusted heavily. Several questions. Should I patch them? Should I just replace them? Are the convertible rockers the same as the rockers made for the notchbacks and fastbacks? Many, many thanks!

I think you'll find that rocker is 2 layers deep, like a part inside a part.
You could section it from a donor If you find a good one. Below and behind the quarter window is a common rust area. Good luck with it.

There are definitely two layers to the rocker panel. The outer part was much nicer than the inner, structural layer. As in other areas of the car, I suspect that the previous owner tried to hide many sins. I'm wondering if the convertible inner rocker is a more heavy duty unit than the cars with a roof.

Seems to me that I saw another member working on a vert that had 3 layers instead of two like a hard top.

If it is a small area cut it out and weld in new metal.If it is a larger area I would replace the whole inner rocker.

There are definitely two layers to the rocker panel. The outer part was much nicer than the inner, structural layer. As in other areas of the car, I suspect that the previous owner tried to hide many sins. I'm wondering if the convertible inner rocker is a more heavy duty unit than the cars with a roof.

That applies to any convertible. More modern builds have the additional member on the outside of the rocker where it can be seen. A fox body Mustang is one example.

I'm not sure what they did with the abody converts, but I know the ebody converts used the heavy duty "hemi" torque boxes to make up for the loss of structure from not having a roof.

I'm not sure what they did with the abody converts, but I know the ebody converts used the heavy duty "hemi" torque boxes to make up for the loss of structure from not having a roof.

A a-body verts have the torque boxes also.

-
Back