67 Cuda steering box removal

-

bluefish1967

Reaction score
Ran into some issues with my new steering box and may have to remove it. Was wondering if the box could be removed with the engine in place. Engine was out when the old box was removed and replaced.. Engine is a small block with factory exhaust manifolds. Initial check looks like the torsion bars and exhaust are in the way underneath, and the manifold is in the way up top. Any ideas? Thanks. Larry

When I changed from manual to power steering gear.., I removed the starter, and separated 'Y' pipe from manifolds. I did have the steering column out first so cant say for sure if that was a factor.

If it's the stock box, I say yes! I did it in my 1967 Barracuda without removing anything but the pitman arm and the bolts holding it on. It was a power steering box and I had to do a little twisting and turning, but yea it came out fine.

If it's the stock box, I say yes! I did it in my 1967 Barracuda without removing anything but the pitman arm and the bolts holding it on. It was a power steering box and I had to do a little twisting and turning, but yea it came out fine.

I have to ask, Yours is V8 or slant 6 ? Good luck to all

Thanks for the input....it's a 340 with stock exhaust manifolds, power steering and power brakes. Seems like everything is in the way, top or bottom. This has been a long term project car, was hoping to start driving it soon. On my first real test drive Saturday it starting blowing power steering fluid everywhere. Ordered a seal kit for the control valve assembly. If that's not it, guess the new box has to come out.
One of the major problems I have run into with " long term " project cars is when the new parts you buy are out of warranty by the time you finally use them.

UPDATE : Looks like I may have gotten lucky. Recieved the seal kit yesterday for the control valve and installed it last night. Cleaned up all of the mess. Seems to have fixed the problem for now. Was not looking forward to removing the steering box, or the engine again if needed.

Hey that's great news!! It's always nice to avoid those crappy jobs when you can. I hope it's nice this weekend where you live so you can get out and put some miles on it!!

Thanks again, checked it when I got home and everything is still dry.
Wish I could take Bluefish out this weekend....but we're having our typical crappy spring weather in Cincinnati. Had a week of 70 degree weather 2 weeks ago, everything bloomed and was looking great. Then the bottom dropped out. Last Saturday we had 70 MPH winds all day, took down trees and power lines. Today, it's rain sleet and snow flurries. Saturdays' high is supposed to be 35. I love spring!!

-
Back