67 cuda tire whitewall trivia

-

g413

Reaction score
I'm need to replace the tires on my 67 Cuda and I would like them to be as original as possible. I have 14" rims and I'm pretty sure the original tires had narrow whitewalls. I'm looking at Coker tires and they offer 5/8 and 7/8" wide whitewalls. Does anyone know which one is more correct?

Yes I have too much time on my hands.

Back in the day they checked white wall you got what ever the guy at the factory picked up, good year, firestone, etc either will be ok.

My '69 has 7/8". You don't want to know how long they've been on the car. I have not replaced them, because I have never been able to get 7/8", and 5/8" just looks wrong. Are Coker's radial, or Bias ply?

Here's the cover of the 67 brochure. Judge for yourself what the stripe width is.

Attachments

• 67_cover.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 173
Thanks to all who answered. The stripes on the brochure look to be greater than 5/8, so 7/8" is probably correct. To another answer, Coker does offer both radials and bias tires, but the specific 'cuda tires are "bias" type. I think Coker actually recommend against radials. However, the Barracuda Owner's Manual talks about what to do if you go radials. I don't think Plymouth had a problem with it.

bias ply tires are total crap when compared to a modern radial. I run E70-14 bias red-lines on my car. They look great but have made me soil my shorts more than once.

You want radials. A set of 205-70 (or 75) -14s should only cost a couple hundred bucks.

Most of the OEM tires I have seen on late garden variety 70s Mopars were Goodyear Power Cushions. I think you're right about them having a 7/8" stripe.

http://lucasclassictires.com/14-695x14-Goodyear-7-8-WW-114-232.htm

I have had no problems putting radials on rims not originally designed for them and driving hard. Substituting equivalent size radials for bias tires is a little problematic because a radial with the closest section width to a bias ply tire does not have as much weight carrying capacity. Things get even more mixed up with the juggling of sidewall profiles so its hard to run a purely mathematical comparison. If you're deliberating between bias and radial consult this presentation:

http://www.mopar1.us/tireconversion.html

From a purely seat-of-the-pants evaluation, IMO, the bias ply tire gives up grip sooner than the radial in cornering. The give-up is fairly linear and usually very audible. While the radial has better cornering capability, it tends to go from stuck down to sliding with less notice. Early radials in this country were notorious in this regard. Under braking, I prefer the radial tire. Unless the car is going to be a trailer queen, pass on the bias tires and get radials.

I'm need to replace the tires on my 67 Cuda and I would like them to be as original as possible. I have 14" rims and I'm pretty sure the original tires had narrow whitewalls. I'm looking at Coker tires and they offer 5/8 and 7/8" wide whitewalls. Does anyone know which one is more correct? Yes I have too much time on my hands.

Are they 4.5 or 5.5" wide rims?
68'-69' Factory original performance 14" Firestone or Goodyear tire stripes are 3/8" wide.
I'm almost thinking '67 standard tire was 13" ?

I would suggest a set of Goodyear Power Cushion 6.95 x 14 with white wall. CAn be bought at any tire store. Coker tire has them.

If your going for 100% original go with the bias
If you want it to ride and handle worth a dam and still have the look go with the radials

-
Back