67 Dart daily driver........undercoating

-

Nite Moves

Reaction score
Hello everyone.............I would really like your opion on a matter. My plans for my 67 Dart is to drive it..........I know it may sound stupid to clean off all the undercoating and then ask a question? Would you reapply it? Like i said......Im going to clean up the car and plan on daily driving it .Like your opinion on this ......Reapply the under coating to fender wells and underneath. Thanks of course...........To me your wisdom and opinions are always welcome......................Thanks Edd

I do not like undercoating,now if ya plan on winter driving than you better coat it with something.factory undercoating is going to be a ***** to remove,down side once it cracks it lets moisture in and rust will begin. I like to buy my cars with a clean under side than paint it.My car is clean,painted and rust free.Also adds to the value of the car when painted body color

I like this Ed.i pick the body color and before I had the car painted I went to car Quest and had them mix up some paint in a spry can and went at it.

Attachments

• 100_1460_0001.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 165
  • 100_1463_0001.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 158
I like a nice clean undercarrage painted too.I would try chipping off the undercoating with a putty knife first before applying heat.From being old it might just comeoff in chunks,but if not using a small torch sure makes a heck of a mess.I would still undercoat wheelwells,torsion bar area and rear leaf area.Any area that these Canadian cars start to rot should be coated.Good luck.

I would re apply the undercoating on the front and rear wheel wells . Factory put it there on all old mopars Ive seen. I cuts down on some road noise and rust.

Thanks............Thats what i was woundering too......I want it to look good. Not planning on dioing alot of work to it to make it look.........Crappy.

I put 67 GT on lift and used steam cleaner and took every bit of old undercoating off to bare metal but it didn't disturb factory zinc coating. I then used rust bullet to treat it then sprayed in bed liner that worked well. Joe

I put 67 GT on lift and used steam cleaner and took every bit of old undercoating off to bare metal but it didn't disturb factory zinc coating. I then used rust bullet to treat it then sprayed in bed liner that worked well. Joe

That's one hell of a good idea, I'll try that next time.
Jim

the hot water turned into what looked like cresote. Nasty job but lots easier than scraping plus don't damage metal.

What kind of steam cleaner did you use? Could this be a rentable unit like at a Home Depot or a rentall place? I like this option much better then scraping.

Please post.

I have a Stinger electric that I use on my excavating equipment. Uses diesel for heating. It really get hot and in this case the hotter the better. I liked the fact that

-
Back