67 Dart Headlight Switch Demystified

-

Dana67Dart

The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok Steve stop crying. (This one had a broken wire in the rheostat and the sweep contact fell off while I was cleaning)

So I started cleaning my newly aquired parts. This 67 ish headlight switch looked good but the rheostat had really high resistance, in the megaohm range, I looked at it under magnification, and saw that the lead under the river was broken.

SOOOO, what to do, take it apart!

This is what it should look like
15881166812392206396452931271444.jpg

This is the front plastic spacer that also stops the knob from rotating too far
IMG_20200428_172112.jpg

This part engages with the knob shaft and the rheostat.
IMG_20200428_172118.jpg

Spring that puts pressure on the rheostat

15881169681353004863308608291695.jpg

Rehostat, the coil should be uniform, I tweeked it when I removed it, turns out it is imbedded in some plaster in 3 spots.
IMG_20200428_172131.jpg

Contacts inside the switch

IMG_20200428_172139.jpg

Sweep that makes the contacts and moves with the knob stem
IMG_20200428_172154.jpg

IMG_20200428_172201.jpg

Frame (nubs are where the ball bearing rides and creates the stops)

IMG_20200428_172215.jpg

Rivets
IMG_20200428_172222.jpg

These old Mopar switches are foolishly simple and not that hard to refurbish as you have shown!

Dangit, sorry Dana, I can dig for another one? Yeah it does look pretty simple, just gotta take lots of pics...Like you did!
Good detail once again!

I was surprised how clean the inside was. Even the grease was soft and supple.

I kept all the pieces intact, and know if needed I can send it off for repair.

Steve, not to worry, the others are great. No worries

, just gotta take lots of pics...Like you did!
Good detail once again
I got it all back together, but it is nice to know that it can be disassembled and parts from one could be swapped into another.

This dimmer feature is often the one fault in otherwise fine headlight switches. Its too simple to just add a jumper bypassing the rheostat. Illumination will be full on bright as possible no matter where the knob is turned to. I didn't bother to use a multimeter and finger out which spade terminals or wires to link. My jumper goes straight down through that small hole in upper contact to center contact directly below it.

I hate bright dash lights. Definately a personal preference.
I turn 'em down out in the country.

If one absolutely did not want to spend 15 bucket on a head light switch, one could remove the terminal from the headlight switch connector and buy a 15 buck rheostat and wire it to the b2 cir.

I hate bright dash lights. Definately a personal preference.
I turn 'em down out in the country.
Yeah the LEDs and white screens in other newer vehicles can be too much. Bright dash lights is not an issue in these older examples though. As large as the rally panel is, only 4 #158 illumination bulbs in it. Blue tint diffusers change that to a lesser coke bottle green glow. Maybe with a rechromed bezel that was chromed on the inside and/or LED replacements in it I would want a working dimmer.
I remember having to ask a coworker why all vehicles had dimable dash lighting. He said "If you wore eye glasses you would know".

Yeah the LEDs and white screens in other newer vehicles can be too much. Bright dash lights is not an issue in these older examples though. As large as the rally panel is, only 4 #158 illumination bulbs in it. Blue tint diffusers change that to a lesser coke bottle green glow. Maybe with a rechromed bezel that was chromed on the inside and/or LED replacements in it I would want a working dimmer.
I remember having to ask a coworker why all vehicles had dimable dash lighting. He said "If you wore eye glasses you would know".
Funny you mentoin the chroming. I specifically requested the no chroming - make it just like the original - and Frank said no problem. I should get it back soon ish. The brightest instrument lights now are the autogage tach - #53, and the steering column selector.

You know you can still purchase them new? Right? Don't you? less than 10 bucks Nice pictures

-
Back