67 Dart heater core removal

-

spl440

Everybody's Fool
Reaction score
need to replace heater core in 67 Dart with a/c, do I need to pull complete box assy?

need to replace heater core in 67 Dart with a/c, do I need to pull complete box assy?

yes you do and a great opportunity to replace all the rotten foam rubber that hinders good seal and separation between defrost and floor setting as well as opportunity to lube up your heater setting cables. Also to clean your vent boxes and gain good access to cleaning your fresh air chamber. often filled with debris, pine needles leaves, and such. It's a couple hour job, but you will be glad once you complete the job. Just did mine on my 68' during my dash resto.

I missed that yours is a a/c car. Mine is a non a/c so could be better answer than mine.

Thanks for the replies. replaced it 20 years ago when I first got the car and started restoring it. Had to remove dash assy for window opening rust repair and did it at that time. need to take it from Arkansas to lower Louisiana for work on next Tuesday so I guess another working weekend......Will not have time to order a gasket kit for it, so any suggestions for what to use for the seals and gaskets?

Thanks for the replies. replaced it 20 years ago when I first got the car and started restoring it. Had to remove dash assy for window opening rust repair and did it at that time. need to take it from Arkansas to lower Louisiana for work on next Tuesday so I guess another working weekend......Will not have time to order a gasket kit for it, so any suggestions for what to use for the seals and gaskets?

I used 1/8" closed cell foam rubber sheet. Worked really well

You can leave the a/c box bolted in and just remove the heater core box. They are 2 seperate boxes with 1 bolt/bracket holding them together. I would remove the box to remove the core because it's a b**ch getting the spring clips back on under the dash.

Thanks guy's, dropping out just the heater side of the assy worked very well, and using the 1/8 inch foam helped with replacing the old seals. Back together and working well. :blob:

-
Back