67 Dart steering wheel repair

-

kdbunn

Reaction score
Did a repair on my buddy's steering wheel. Turned out not bad for a non wheel repair dude.

Dart wheel repair.jpg

Dart wheel repaired.jpg

What did you use for the cracks? I did my 3-spoke and found the rate of expansion/contraction showed up later with temp changes. Yours looks great.

What did you use for the cracks? I did my 3-spoke and found the rate of expansion/contraction showed up later with temp changes. Yours looks great.
Thanks. I used 2 part epoxy putty after I grooved out the cracks. Sanded that after it was cured, then 2 coats of hi-build, sanded that, then a little filler on the small imperfections and bits I missed, sanded that then 2 more coats of hi-build.

I used J-B Weld. Most of the damaged area was covered by the horn ring and padding anyway. You would really have to look at it to see that it was done. Then I found a correct wheel.

I used J-B Weld. Most of the damaged area was covered by the horn ring and padding anyway. You would really have to look at it to see that it was done. Then I found a correct wheel.
JB Weld works. It's a form of epoxy, it's just quite hard. I'm guessing, but I would think a slightly more flexible composite would help with the expansion/contraction of the wheel. Especially in a situation where heat/cold were more of an issue. Also the putty is easier to mold into shape.

-
Back