67 dart transmission

-

Dartman1967

Reaction score
My Dart doesn't have the kick down/passing gear. Is it ok to drive it without this? There is nothing missing on the outside of the tranny that I can see that is missing. Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated as I am getting ready to sell it.

Thanks

If the linkage is all there, but it doesn't downshift when you step on it then it should be fine.
One easy way to tell if there is no major problem with the TP ("kickdown") is if it shifts later when you step on it more.
If it does, then the TP is working and it's not a huge deal.

Now if it shifts at the same speed no matter how much throttle you give it, then there's a problem.

To add, the kickdown is the lifeblood of the chrysler transmission. Without it properly set-up, It will live a very short life. Check that sh8t!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY9WTWayCC8"]1971 Volume 71-2 Shift Quality and Linkage Adjustment - YouTube[/ame]

And to add further. There is a WEALTH of info at MyMopar AS LONG AS it's original Mopar documents. Some of the homegrown stuff on there might be iffy. Casting no's for instance

Get yourself a factory shop manual, which you can download from there for free

And the tech bulletins on there "Master tech" section has a TON of good info, all right out of Chrysler, "at the time."

Does your trans have a stock or aftermarket valve body? A stock VB requires throttle pressure (kickdown) linkage, aftermarket manual valve bodies don't

"Kickdown" is a misnomer on a Mopar....that linkage is for trans pressure, and without it, you WILL ruin your trans in short order! (This assumes you don't have a manual valve body)

-
Back