67 Dart-upgraded alternator

-

dave273dart

Reaction score
I was doing a little reading about alternators in this forum. When I restored my 67 Dart I upgraded my wireing harnesses with new wire if needed. When I installed my electronic ignition system, I also upgraded my alternator to 78 amps-I purchased one for a 85 Dodge Pickup D100. It fit with out any modifications. Seems to be working fine. I thought about higher amps but did not see any purpose to do so.

Dave

if your upgrading any more its a good idea to bypass the amp gauge and upgrade the size of the primary wire coming from the alternator

Couple of things you need to do, is look/ inspect the bulkhead connector and then CHECK it for drop.

Turn the key on, engine off. Put one probe on the battery, the other on the dark blue IGN run wire feeding the regulator and ballast. You are looking for a VERY low voltage, the lower the better.

Anything over .2V (two TENTHS of a volt) check the harness and try and improve things. If it's even higher, check REALLY carefully

The basic circuit path is the battery--starter relay--fuse link--through the bulkhead--to ammeter circuit--to ignition switch connector--through the switch and back OUT the switch--back OUT the switch connector on the dark blue--back through the bulkhead--to the ballast resistor.

Any connection along the way buy your main suspects in probable order are bulkhead connector, ignition switch connector, the switch, the ammeter circuit, ammeter connections, and last the welded splice taped up in the under--dash harness. This splice is tied to the ammeter circuit and branches off to feed the ignition switch, the headlights, the fuse box "hot" buss, and one or two other things.

Read this for an overview;

The simplified diagram down the page applies to many many years of cars and trucks

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

came from here

http://www.madelectrical.com/

If the above all checks out OK, check your charging voltage. You must REPAIR the above if there is excessive voltage drop before the charging voltage will be correct. A drop in the above test say it's 1/2 volt, will ADD that much to the charging voltage!!

So warm up the engine (regulator must be warm) get the battery "normalized" (ammeter centered) and run the engine RPM to simulate low/ medium cruise. Fast idle cam will usually do.

You are looking for an optimum right at the battery of 13.8-14.2V. Acceptable is 13.5-14.5. Anything higher / lower means checking into.

If it's a little high, confirm that the regulator is properly grounded. To do that, again check for voltage drop. Stick one probe on the battery negative post, the other right on the regulator mounting flange. Be sure to "stab" through any paint, rust, chrome. Again you are looking for a very low reading. Over .2V means the ground is not very good. The body, the block, and the battery neg. must all be at the same potential.

I believe its "wjar" on here suggests making a ground wire, bridging the ground bolts on the ignition module, and the regulator, and back to the battery.

The way I did mine was to buy a one foot "starter" cable at the store, IE "ring to ring." Bolt one end to the unused head holes on the back end of the driver's head. Bolt the other end to one of the master cylinder studs, using star washers.

Next turn on some accessories, headlights, 4x flasher, radio. With the engine still running to simulate low/ med. cruise, check the voltage at the battery, then at the alternator output stud. If there's more than 1/2--1 volt difference, you have resistance in the ammeter circuit or bulkhead connector, and need to track it down.

You'll already doubled the amps The your wiring harness was built for.
If you compair the wiring in your 67 to the wiring in later models you'll find differences in wire gauge, especially the drk. blue w/white. That wire is passing more current through your ignition switch now.
Fast forward to todays vehicles with their high amp charging systems and you wont find many long lengths of heavy gauge wires but you will find it where it is required along with a gallon bucket full of fuses and relays to protect those smaller wires.
While no alternater is going to supply more current that is required under normal conditions, a short circuit, undersixed or worn contacts in switches or connectors are fore starters.

Yup, what RedFish says. Under normal conditions you might not have a problem, but accidentally leave the lights on for awhile then come back and start the car and the alternator's going to be pumpin' current your wiring wasn't specced to handle when it was new -- and science has not yet given us the wiring that improves with age. It will be worth your while to upgrade the charging circuit. As you can see from this thread and others, there are various ways to do it.

-
Back