-
Status
Not open for further replies.

matthon

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Contact seller
There was an unfortunate incident and my uncut, unbroken, dash bezel has been destroyed. I'm sick about it and I need to go break something...

At this point finding one is nearly impossible as the 67 bezel is one year only, (the radio is not a thumbwheel, no lighter, etc).

All I need is the bezel if anyone has one, but the reality is I may not even be able to afford a broken used one, (I checked around and used ones are going for as much as new ones- aka too much for my wallet, lol).

Not looking for sympathy or a handout, just really bent over it.

Here is what it used to look like before today, for a spray can restoration it was coming along nicely if I do say so myself:

DSC04710.JPG

1.JPG

Very sorry to hear that man.I wish I had one to send your way. If anyone can help this is the right place. Good luck. Greg.

I am bummin for you too matthon. Did something happen when you were heating the warps? Can it be fixed? I wish I could help if I haven't done to much already to you with this. Good luck.

I bought a heat gun and was able to get the warps out, it worked very well- I'm not sure if you can see it in the pics, the primer shot is the after.

Once in primer there were scratches and a few gouged out areas which I filled and sanded. That is where the problem started. Every time I sanded and primered, the new primer would bubble up along the places where the old primer ended and the plastic began.
I'm not a complete fool, I would clean it and make sure it was completely dry before primering again, but the same issue every time. I've painted a few cars completely by myself and never had an issue like this. It started to look messy and uneven; and I was wet sanding with very fine paper so the final coat would be nice and smooth.
Well, I figured I would start over, and the Easy Off would not remove the primer so I bought a paint remover safe for plastics, tested it in a small area on the back, then on the front- no issues. Once you hit it with cold water it neutralized it. So with the bezel in the sink, I hit it with the remover and then immediately rinsed it off. It looked really good, the plastic was even white, not a yellow tone like before.

I came back a few minutes later and the whole bezel looked like it had a case of elephantitus! It is completely destroyed, the letters practically bubbled off and it cracked right down the whole thing on the left side. Done!

Sorry to hear about that.I was thinking of doing mine this summer.Your making me a little nervous.Good luck with the search.8)

BUMP

Yep, I sent an e-mail and a pm- no reply yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back