67' Fastback Rear Glass Channel Rust Repair

-

got6pak

Reaction score
I recently bought a 67' Fastback and the only real bad rust on the car is the rear glass window channel on the passenger side lower corner where the glass sets. Has anyone repaired this area before? It doesn't seem like a quarter panel will have this material on it so I'm assuming you'd have to custom make metal patches to kind of rebuild it? Anyone have pictures of their repair?

IMG_2494.jpg

IMG_2496.jpg

:popcorn:

I'm going to have to repair the same section next year. I'm guessing someone will either have to cut it from a parts car or it'll have to be fabbed up if it's not too bad.

That patch is not very difficult if you have a reasonable level of skill in fabricating and welding. If you have access to a metal brake to bend the sheet metal and a shrinker / stretcher, it is an easy piece to make. Otherwise, you can do it in a series of separate patches. That is how I did it before I bought a metal brake and a shrinker / stretcher combo.

That patch is not very difficult if you have a reasonable level of skill in fabricating and welding. If you have access to a metal brake to bend the sheet metal and a shrinker / stretcher, it is an easy piece to make. Otherwise, you can do it in a series of separate patches. That is how I did it before I bought a metal brake and a shrinker / stretcher combo.
Any tips on a brake shrinker/stretcher combo? That sounds like the only way to do it properly.

Any tips on a brake shrinker/stretcher combo? That sounds like the only way to do it properly.
I got a shrinker stretcher combo and a stand for about $200 at Harbor Freight a few years ago. The HF shrinker stretcher combo is only $159 now, but after a 20% HF coupon it would only be $127. Then you will need (or be better off with) a stand. They have one specifically for the shrinker stretcher combo, but I think one of their $50 bench grinder stands might work. I can't tell you how handy they are. You will find that friends will be asking you to fabricate parts for them.

I recently bought a 67' Fastback and the only real bad rust on the car is the rear glass window channel on the passenger side lower corner where the glass sets. Has anyone repaired this area before? It doesn't seem like a quarter panel will have this material on it so I'm assuming you'd have to custom make metal patches to kind of rebuild it? Anyone have pictures of their repair?

View attachment 1715252754

View attachment 1715252755
Going through something similar on the A pillars on my 72 Dart. Making patches and spot welding them in. Slow process making patches because I don't have a shrinker/stretcher. Its with hammer and dolly. Coming along okay for my first attempt at this type of repair.
20181125_105539_Burst01.jpg

20181125_112500(1).jpg

20181202_093245.jpg

20181202_094508.jpg

-
Back