67 spool k frame

-

jim

Reaction score
Looking at 67 Dart GT. It's a project car. It is originally a /6 car. I know the idler arm is a different set up. Plan on going with a small block. I have a small block k frame with spool mounts. Can this be used with using the new style idler arm. Checking out things before purchasing.
Thanks

All the 1973-76 K members used the spool mounts. They also use the double shear idler arm. These K members DO fit the 1967-1976 model A body cars.

Thanks for the help.
Appreciate the time

What you must do. The tie rod ends point the opposite direction between 73/ later and 72/ earlier. There are 4 items that must be compatible to use the linkage

Steering linkage can be 68--76 but you must split it as so:

Determine what pitman it takes to fit your steering box, large or small spline. Whatever pitman you have access to, 72/ earlier, or 73/ later, use that center link and idler arm. In other words those 4 pieces must match, box, pitman, idler, and center link. You can use any year the tie rod assemblies, and you can not use a 67 idler which is by itself because of the K member mount.

What you must do. The tie rod ends point the opposite direction between 73/ later and 72/ earlier. There are 4 items that must be compatible to use the linkage

Steering linkage can be 68--76 but you must split it as so:

Determine what pitman it takes to fit your steering box, large or small spline. Whatever pitman you have access to, 72/ earlier, or 73/ later, use that center link and idler arm. In other words those 4 pieces must match, box, pitman, idler, and center link. You can use any year the tie rod assemblies, and you can not use a 67 idler which is by itself because of the K member mount.
So basically the pitman and idler are have to be the same year so they pivot with the same radius?

So basically the pitman and idler are have to be the same year so they pivot with the same radius?
And center link. I think you can run what you have, 67 pitman arm, center link, and a 68 idler arm on the 73+ K-Frame. I never did it that way, I ran the 73+ whole system, but I think that is what they are saying.

63-72 idler and pitman studs point towards the hood. (Nuts on top)

73-76 studs point towards the ground. (Nuts on bottom)

Idler and pitman arms must be mated to the same era center link. All 67-72 or all 73-76. The tierod assemblies are all the same.

I have a 73 style K and discs in my 68 but retained the complete 68 steering linkage. Seems to work just fine. One or the other style may be better when it comes to header clearance.

Last edited:
-
Back