68/69 dodge dart gt

-

74ddsport

Reaction score
I have read a few different site on line about the 68/69 dodge dart gt. It seems that Wikipedia and a few other sites got me confused so im asking here.

What are the difference between the 1968/69 dodge darts and when did the gt come out 68 or 69? I would like one with a 340 motor or of course bigger like the 383 or 440 which i have read are rarer. I also would like a four speed. Can someone help me narrow down my search by telling me what i search for? Do i search for 69 dodge dart gt or gts? Also which one is more rare.

thanks

Well, technically the Dart GT came out in 1963, think it went till 1971?

I have read a few different site on line about the 68/69 dodge dart gt. It seems that Wikipedia and a few other sites got me confused so im asking here.

What are the difference between the 1968/69 dodge darts and when did the gt come out 68 or 69? I would like one with a 340 motor or of course bigger like the 383 or 440 which i have read are rarer. I also would like a four speed. Can someone help me narrow down my search by telling me what i search for? Do i search for 69 dodge dart gt or gts? Also which one is more rare.

thanks

in 68 and 69 the GT came with slant sixes or 318 s ....they were loaded cars with bucket seats standard and most had the console ......the GT had attractive chrome mouldings but was not considered a performance car GT convertibles made great parade cars

The GTS was only availble in 68 and 69 ....and some say 67 but i scoff at 67 GTS bcoz it didnt even have the hood and was really an after thought

but the 68 and 69 GTS came standard with the 340 and optional 383 .....and in 69 only after march 1969 the 440 was optional in limited quantities. the GTS also came with bucket seats standard and a bumblebee stripe standard

if you want performance search GTS but be ready for a heafty price tag on a nice one ...especially a big block one.

in 68 and 69 the GT came with slant sixes or 318 s ....they were loaded cars with bucket seats standard and most had the console ......the GT had attractive chrome mouldings but was not considered a performance car GT convertibles made great parade cars

The GTS was only availble in 68 and 69 ....and some say 67 but i scoff at 67 GTS bcoz it didnt even have the hood and was really an after thought

but the 68 and 69 GTS came standard with the 340 and optional 383 .....and in 69 only after march 1969 the 440 was optional in limited quantities. the GTS also came with bucket seats standard and a bumblebee stripe standard

if you want performance search GTS but be ready for a heafty price tag on a nice one ...especially a big block one.

Got it, thanks

And lets not forget the Dart GSS models (68 and 69?), these were Grand Spaulding Specials, bring big bucks too. 383 and 440 engines I think were the norm in these cars?

Could search for a Swinger in 69 too.

correct ....a swinger is the same concept as a road runner .....available starting in 69 it didnt have any chrome moulding and was very basic car ....they only had bench seats and came with the 340 standard .....no other engine options were available for swinger 340 in 69

however there was also a base swinger not to be confused with the swinger 340

And lets not forget the Dart GSS models (68 and 69?), these were Grand Spaulding Specials, bring big bucks too. 383 and 440 engines I think were the norm in these cars?

true but thats more of a dealer specific thing..... not really a factory deal .....however if i had a chance at a real GSS in my budget i would not pass it up ....it is a very historically significant car

Here is the 69 Swinger 340

Attachments

• 6723802037_74b6a16475_z.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 1,382
  • 1969-dodge-dart-swinger-340-thomas-schoeller.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 873

In 69 you could get a GT with a 273 as well.. The GTS's in 69 also were available with a finish panel between the tail lights.

I may be wrong but I think in 69 you could get a Hemi from Mr Norm in a GSS Dart as well...

correct ....a swinger is the same concept as a road runner .....available starting in 69 it didnt have any chrome moulding and was very basic car ....they only had bench seats and came with the 340 standard .....no other engine options were available for swinger 340 in 69

however there was also a base swinger not to be confused with the swinger 340

Im not sure what chrome you mean, the Swinger could come with drip rail chrome, and the chrome moldings for the vinyl top cars.. Also to help clarify, only the 340 Swinger came standard with the 340.. obviously LOL... however the base Swinger, could be slant 6 or 318... also, buckets were an option on the 340 Swinger, but not the base Swinger... and the 340 Swinger came standard with the Swinger tail stripe (unless you opted for stripe delete when ordering) the base Swinger the strip was not an option...

Oh yea, and the GTS's and the 340 Swingers came with the power bulge hoods and engine call outs.. the base Dart, the GT's, and the base Swingers came with the standard flat hoods.. (in 68 and 69 lol)

69 GTS with the rare Mod Top option :glasses7:

Attachments

• 7286c.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 823
68 gts

Attachments

• 32214050529_large.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 7,447
  • mopp_060800_abod_3_z+1968_dodge_dart_gts+rear_view.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 2,029
In 69 you could get a GT with a 273 as well.. The GTS's in 69 also were available with a finish panel between the tail lights.

I may be wrong but I think in 69 you could get a Hemi from Mr Norm in a GSS Dart as well...

Im not sure what chrome you mean, the Swinger could come with drip rail chrome, and the chrome moldings for the vinyl top cars.. Also to help clarify, only the 340 Swinger came standard with the 340.. obviously LOL... however the base Swinger, could be slant 6 or 318... also, buckets were an option on the 340 Swinger, but not the base Swinger... and the 340 Swinger came standard with the Swinger tail stripe (unless you opted for stripe delete when ordering) the base Swinger the strip was not an option...

i forgot about the 273 ......of course not really much to remember.....

i would have to dispute in a friendly way the enlarged statement .....i dont think they made swinger 340s with bucket seats.....i have never heard of a real swinger 340 LM23P9 car with the C55 option.... they dont exist......

and when i said no chrome moulding on the swinger i meant body side and /or that beautiful tail panel that came on GT/GTS...#-o:D

the Hemi was only available in the hurst prepared LO23 darts and BO29 barracudas cars in 1968

the Hemi was only available in the hurst prepared LO23 darts and BO29 barracudas cars in 1968

So the GSS's were only 440's?.. (or 383's?) .... like I said I wasnt sure about that.. I just remember hearing somewhere that Mr Norm had done that.. Thanks..

My dad has a real 69 Dart Swinger 340 and it is the most bare bones Dart I have ever seen. It has a vinyl bench seat, rubber floor mat and an AM radio. Car is copper colored with tan upholstery. It does not even have chrome drip rail moldings. It has a black tail stripe and the power bulge hood with 340 call outs. Goes like crazy though!!!
~Michael

So the GSS's were only 440's?.. (or 383's?) .... like I said I wasnt sure about that.. I just remember hearing somewhere that Mr Norm had done that.. Thanks..

They were conversions done at Mr. Norms, not sure but I think they were GTS cars fitted with a 383 or 440, the "T" emblem was removed and a red "S" was put inplace on the front fenders and trunk so it said GSS

Attachments

• SC0509-79405_2.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,073
  • mopp_9904_02_z+1968_dodge_dart+gss_emblem.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 842
im not positive, but i think all 69 440 darts were Mr. Norms cars and the 383 was still optional from the factory. i dont think all 69 BB darts were Norms but i could be wrong.

i forgot about the 273 ......of course not really much to remember.....

i would have to dispute in a friendly way the enlarged statement .....i dont think they made swinger 340s with bucket seats.....i have never heard of a real swinger 340 LM23P9 car with the C55 option.... they dont exist......

and when i said no chrome moulding on the swinger i meant body side and /or that beautiful tail panel that came on GT/GTS...#-o:D

Well I personally can not for sure prove they made a 340 Swinger in 69 with bucket seats.. however I also cant claim they dont exist.. It would all depend on whether or not you were able to order a 4 speed with a console... if you got the console you had to have buckets... So now.. I am kinda curious.. Anyone? could you order a 4 speed with a console in a 340 Swinger in 69? I know you could with the lesser Dart GT in 69.. I have a friend that has 69 GT, 273, 4 speed with a console and buckets.. It just made sense to me if you could order that combo in a GT you would be able to in a Swinger 340... lol... Oh, and it should also be noted that the 69 Swinger 340 came with carpet standard if you got the 4 speed.. Carpet was optional with the 727 automatic...

They were conversions done at Mr. Norms, not sure but I think they were GTS cars fitted with a 440, the "T" emblem was removed and a red "S" was put inplace on the front fenders so it said GSS

That could be right... but I thought that all GSS Darts had a red S in the middle.. but again, I could be wrong.. I do know in 69 you could get a GTS with a 440 from the factory.. but not in 69.. those puppies are rare! LOL

im not positive, but i think all 69 440 darts were Mr. Norms cars and the 383 was still optional from the factory. i dont think all 69 BB darts were Norms but i could be wrong.

you could get a 69 GTS Dart with a 440 from the factory in 69 only.. but they didnt make many of those lol..

My dad has a real 69 Dart Swinger 340 and it is the most bare bones Dart I have ever seen. It has a vinyl bench seat, rubber floor mat and an AM radio. Car is copper colored with tan upholstery. It does not even have chrome drip rail moldings. It has a black tail stripe and the power bulge hood with 340 call outs. Goes like crazy though!!!
~Michael

I believe the chrome drip rail moldings were an option on non-vinyl top cars.. actually I think drip rail mouldings were an option on any non-vinyl top Dart LOL .. my Dart had a vinyl from the factory, and I found the build sheet (still in great shape) the drip rail moulding box was checked LOL ..

So... Since I got home from work, I have been trying to find any proof that there were in fact 69 340 Swingers made with bucket seats... of course I havent found any pics, but I did find the 'extra-cost option list that was included in the paper work for the 340 Swinger.. buckets, and the console are both listed.. So maybe there were? lol... I feel like im on a quest of some kind LMAO

Attachments

• 69dart3a.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 797
-
Back