'68 Barracuda-bigger rear wheels?

-
I've been researching this topic for a while & am still confused. I have '68 Cuda I want to put 15X8 Rallye wheels in the back. I have a 5X4 bolt pattern & stock springs. The only wheel I can find in this size has a 4-5/8" backspace from Vintiques or Coker. I'm concerned about inboard clearance for a 60's series tire. If they do rub on the springs, is there some kind of spacer I could use to move the wheel out a little? If so, where do I get/make them? Is this advisable? I really want to go with the Rallyes. I kind of like in keeping with the sleeper vibe.

Last edited:
I had to get special backspace wheels made to use big tires with 15" rims and stock springs on my 69. I think 4.25" backspacing on both sides was close .

lI've been researching this topic for a while & am still confused. I have '68 Cuda I want to put 15X8 Rallye wheels in the back. I have a 5X4 bolt pattern & stock springs. The only wheel I can find in this size has a 4-5/8" backspace from Vintiques or Coker. I'm concerned about inboard clearance for a 60's series tire. If they do rub on the springs, is there some kind of spacer I could use to move the wheel out a little? If so, where do I get/make them? Is this advisable? I really what to go with the Rallyes. I kind of like in keeping with the sleeper vibe.

DSCN7467.JPG

DSCN7466.JPG

DSCN7465.JPG

DSCN7464.JPG

Last edited:
lI've been researching this topic for a while & am still confused. I have '68 Cuda I want to put 15X8 Rallye wheels in the back. I have a 5X4 bolt pattern & stock springs. The only wheel I can find in this size has a 4-5/8" backspace from Vintiques or Coker. I'm concerned about inboard clearance for a 60's series tire. If they do
lI've been researching this topic for a while & am still confused. I have '68 Cuda I want to put 15X8 Rallye wheels in the back. I have a 5X4 bolt pattern & stock springs. The only wheel I can find in this size has a 4-5/8" backspace from Vintiques or Coker. I'm concerned about inboard clearance for a 60's series tire. If they do rub on the springs, is there some kind of spacer I could use to move the wheel out a little? If so, where do I get/make them? Is this advisable? I really what to go with the Rallyes. I kind of like in keeping with the sleeper vibe.
How much clearance do you have on the outside at the wheel lip. If you use a spacer to increase the inboard clearance, you will loose it on the outboard side.

Last edited:
Hoow much clearance do you have on the outside at the wheel lip. If you use a spacer to increase the inboard clearance, you will loose it on the outboard side.
I'm not too concerned with the wheelwell lip. There seems to be adequate room for a bigger tire. I'll decide on tire size once I get the wheel situation dealt with.

I just went out and took a look. 255-60-R15 Radial TA's. But, the pass side is only about 1/8" from the rear spring on the rear. Be sure to check yours carefully before going for the 4.25" offset. 4" may be safer if the rear axle is not assembled perfectly or if one of your spring clamps happens to be right where the tire is closest. Tom

I have found that both sides may not be the same , on any given car. Best to check both sides of your car , yourself to make sure.
My 70 Duster is a good 1/8 difference , side to side.

Frank

I think the only way to definitively solve this riddle is to pop off the wheels & measure the distance from the face of the brake drum to the spring & take it from there. I was told the lugs on the drivers side are threaded left. Is that so? I don't want to be snapping off studs.

Usually the end of the stud will have a large " L " for left handed threads.

Frank

You should center ur rear end and square it before trying to get all u can under it , There are spacers (summit , jegs) out there ----------

thumbnail.jpg

295 60 d15 , not tubbed -------

-
Back