68 Barracuda Gauge Cluster Removal

-

MrJLR

Built, not bought
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am trying to remove my gauge cluster and something is still holding it.
I removed the steering column.
All the screws from the front.
Radio is out
Knows removed

I read it should "roll" out but it's like there's something on the bottom holding it or ????

Any tips ?

Bolts in the heater control area??

I'll look again but with the knobs off, shouldn't it slide off leaving the control in place?

I don't know. ..that's why I'm asking!
I'll take another look at the control. ...

Looking at it some more, everything is loose, it's like it can't get past the lower dash pads.....

Do I need to remove the lower dash pads?
If so, how ?!

On my 1967 Barracuda I have to remove the radio, the ashtray and the 4 bolts that hold the ashtray support in place then remove the support. Look straight up very carefully right below the radio speaker you will see two small bolts that screw into the plastic. These small bolts (I believe a 7/16 socket will fit them) hold the heater controls to the plastic dash face. Don't pull too hard until you find these and remove them. Make sure you have the big round connector, headlight and wiper switches unplugged. I also have a three post connector at the upper portion of the dash right above the speedometer, it is a ***** to reach but it needs to be unplugged as well. I'd also make sure a previous owner didn't zip tie anything together under there.

the procedure is found in factory service manuals. Those are free downloads ( search for them as I don't have the link ).
About rotating the instrument panel face downward... If it aint pulled out of the dash far enough first, you will very likely break the very top of the 3 contact pins from the left hand circuit board.
The right circuit board hangs over past the edge of the inst' housing at BRAKE indicator lamp so its too easily broken there. These are the kind of tips you get from forum members experience. "how to" comes from service manuals. Good luck with it.

I got it guys. ....thanks.

What a PITA!

NOW.....I get to fix 48 years of bad repairs to the wiring. ...joy.

Thanks again!

-
Back