68 Coronet inspect.

-

Richie

Reaction score
Hi everybody:

I know I know but I was in here with a Dart for a long time and I know a lot more people in here than in B Bodies Only. My Coronet is one of those ones with a rear blower defrost motor but I don't want to put it back in. I'd rather have two speakers back there. My question is when the car gets inspected will I get any hassle over the fact that the defroster isn't there anymore? I know or hear Cambodian Tire is terrible. The shop that worked on my Dart does inspections though so that's where I'll take it.

Yeah I’d stay well away from Canadian Tire. If you’re not sure, why not install the rear defroster, have it inspected and then install the second speaker. That way there will be no worries about it passing on that item.

Or if you want to install the rear speaker before the inspection, why not casually ask the shop in advance (since they already know you) if the car will need a rear defroster to pass?

It does not make sense that a rear defrost is required because not all cars have a rear defrost. Your legal requirement is to have clear rear vision. Which can be done with two side mirrors and the rear enclosed, ie. a van.
Or scrape the window like the other hundreds of vehicles that don't have rear defrost.

How would they know if your car came with a rear defogger?
It was an option.
And how many inspection places could read a fender tag for a '68 Coronet anyway?
I think you are overthinking this, Richie...
And whatever you do, don't take the car to Cambodian Tire!

Did t
How would they know if your car came with a rear defogger?
It was an option.
And how many inspection places could read a fender tag for a '68 Coronet anyway?
I think you are overthinking this, Richie...
And whatever you do, don't take the car to Cambodian Tire!
What about the "R Def" toggle switch? :)

Not sure how things work on the west coast but here in Ontario the rear defroster which in 68 was an option and not standard or mandatory equipment doesn't need to be operational for a safety standards certificate .

-
Back