68 cuda 340 engine color: international harvester red

-

Neal Zimmerman

Reaction score
I know "red" is the correct color for my engine. One page I found said this IH farm and implement paint at NAPA was the closest. They said the MP color was off, and the "chrysler red avaiilable at auto zone too.I went and found a can of the IH red and sprayed my thermostat housing , but it looks kind of weird. Anybody hear of this? I hope I don't have to get it through MP. I so hate going to that dealership.
neal

Try this paint. I just built an engine with a guy that used this paint, and it's great. Much thicker than your parts store paints, it goes on a little sticky, but within a couple of weeks drys to be nice and hard, thick, and sticks much better than the aftermarket paints...

Mopar Performance

I wish I had taken side by side pics when I painted my 318, the IH red was a perfect match.

I used to use IH red to match the early Chrysler red engine paint and it matched perfectly but in the recent years I've found that the IH red that you get at box stores and tractor supply places is deeper red. I recently painted some headlight housing rings for my dad's old B Farmall and decided I should get some new fresh paint. When I took them over to his place to mount them they didn't match. The color was darker than the tractor. I went to a different place and bought a different brand of IH red and repainted the rings. Still too dark. We got out some old, true International red enamel that he had from the early 70s and I scuffed the rings and shot them again with my spray gun. Perfect match that time. I have since talked to a couple of people who are pretty knowledgable regarding International/Farmall restorations and paint. They agree that the paint color has changed slightly over the years. The old tractors used to fade to pink and now with the later paint they start a bit darker and fade more orange. According to these guys there are actually four IH reds. IH50 (for the true Farmall tractors) IH1102B, IH201 & IH2150 from Tisco which are as close as is available after all the years.
For several years the paint suppliers sold red paint for engines and used the same color for Ford engine red and Chrysler red. Some still do. That was definitely not correct.
I know years ago (1970 I think) a friend was changing his water pump on his 340 and got engine spray paint right from Mopar so his water pump would match. It was way off, not even close to the rest of his engine. We painted it IH red and it was almost perfect.

Good luck in your hunt!

Last edited:
So, you are saying the "some old, true International red enamel that he had from the early 70s" is the "almost perfect" one?
and that all the newer ones are the wrong shade. If I'm reading that correctly.

I'm not sure of ALL the new IH red but the last several spray cans I bought were deeper red than the stuff I used to use to match the Mopar red. I haven't tried getting any from a Case International shop but the stuff I got from Tractor Supply and other box stores didn't work for me.

I got mine at NAPA simply because that page I saw said so. Didn't think of going to a dealer but if that ones off too........ why bother. This stuff I got at NAPA seemed too "purply" I guess. definitely seemed a smidge too dark, but what would I know since probably all the other red small blocks I've seen were wrong too. I'll probably just go with the MP paint and call it good. I like that "thick" quality. When painting a new motor down to bare metal should we use a primer? And how many cans of top coat to do engine?

I used a good couple of coats of engine primer, my engine was bare metal. Then I used three cans of MP red for my 340 for my 68 Dart. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

The Chrysler Red from Autozone was a PERFECT match for the original red on my '62 slant 6.

Here is my engine ready to go in

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I remember the Hemi orange (street hemi actually) from MP was very thin. It took like a whole can just to do the short block and another to do the heads. That was over bare metal and I bet primer would have helped but was unsure if primer was high heat like the MP stuff. I used the Aurozone Mopar red on my slant and it came out...well...red. But it was ALL red so nothing to match it too.

-
Back