68 Dart first time out

-

zhandfull

Reaction score
Bought this 68 Dart for a street car. Has a 408 in it and runs pretty strong so I had to take it out to Irwindale last Thursday night to see what she would do.

First run
60' 2.681
1/8 8.82
88.1 mph

Second run
60' 2.260
1/8 8.40
88.47 mph

I was thinking it might run a high 7 but that just didn't happen with slippery street tires.

My goal is 7.50 - 7.60 so now the challenge has started. My self imposed rules at this point.
1. Full interior
2. No mini tubs
3. No roll bar

Thinking might need a new set of tires and a driveshaft loop prior to my next trip to the track.

Attachments

• 68 Dart 006.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1,566
Awesome! :cheers:

Motor specs? cam, heads, header, etc, etc...

What does that translate into 1/4 mile times?

Bought this 68 Dart for a street car. Has a 408 in it and runs pretty strong so I had to take it out to Irwindale last Thursday night to see what she would do.

First run
60' 2.681
1/8 8.82
88.1 mph

Second run
60' 2.260
1/8 8.40
88.47 mph

I was thinking it might run a high 7 but that just didn't happen with slippery street tires.

My goal is 7.50 - 7.60 so now the challenge has started. My self imposed rules at this point.
1. Full interior
2. No mini tubs
3. No roll bar

Thinking might need a new set of tires and a driveshaft loop prior to my next trip to the track.

Well not 100% sure of all the details on the motor
stroked 360 to 408
Eddy heads no modifications that I know of
850 Holley carb
Hooker headers
Pretty big cam have to look through paper work see if I have specs
904 trans
3000 convertor
4:10 geared dana 60

Its running very good, theres no doubt it has high 7s in it with that MPH, your 60ft. is "killing" you, I run 8.0s @ 84 in good air with 1.79-1.80 60fts. Whats the combo?

My old 340 in my 73 Dart Sport use to run 7.50-7.60 range @ 88 mph in the 1/8th(11.90@110 1/4 mile). So all you've got to do is figure out how to hook that thing up and get your 60 ft's in the low 1.60's and you're there!!!8)

Did'nt say how big your cam is but with the rest of that combo,if you get it to hook it should be well into the 11's..my stock stroke 360 runs consistent 11.90's with a best of 11.79 and 60's in the low 1.60's

We all start somewhere, the fun is to keep working it.! Good Luck.

Get it tuned and set up right, that thing is a total sleeper. 8)

Zhandfull did you just buy that car from a guy in Palmdale? I know who did the motor and i think it was dyno'ed at near 500 hp. You need TRACTION!

The 60' is the biggest problem I think. I was unable to launch the car it would just blow the tires off and I would back peddle the car. At that point I think it was shifting to 2nd and then it would go. You see it still has the column shifter and its pretty sloppy so I just left it in drive and let it shift by itself the car has no reverse lockout or rev limiter.

I have some sticky tires I can mount up and I will need a drive shaft loop to get through tech. Maybe next thursday night I will give it another try with different tires. Don't want to make it a drag car but I would like it to run mid 7.5 in the 1/8 mile so I will be as fast as possible with out all the safety equipment that is required when you go quicker.

Thanks for all the comments

Get the chassis to work. It should run low 12's easy and definitely in the 11's with some chassis tuning.

Standard mopar style spring set up? If yes, clamp the crap out of the front segments. unstrap all but one on the rear segment. This is critical, make sure the shocks are long enough to not restrict full travel.

Get some ET street radials, hoosier QT pros or some other decent tire on it.

Fresh bushings for the column shift linkage are cheap. Unless you have a seizure, there's no reason on the 1-2 or 2-3 shift to bang N or reverse.

If it does have 500hp, it should be capable of 11.00's at 119-121ish

Zhandfull did you just buy that car from a guy in Palmdale? I know who did the motor and i think it was dyno'ed at near 500 hp. You need TRACTION!

Sorry missed your post. I did buy the car from up in Lancaster. It did have dyno sheets in the 470 hp range. Might try out Fontana this weekend thanks to your post you put up in another thread.

Sorry missed your post. I did buy the car from up in Lancaster. It did have dyno sheets in the 470 hp range. Might try out Fontana this weekend thanks to your post you put up in another thread.

Find any cam specs or cam part number on it??

Full interior,no cage,no tubs or roll bar and especially no hood scoop. My kind of thinking. Muscle car sleeper,Kevin.

I LOVE THE LOOK OF YOUR DART!!!!!!! Can ya post some pics of the motor and interior??

I'll get some up of the motor when I get home. The car has a date with the interior shop real soon. I will post some before and after when its done. Going to be original blue and factory style.

Attachments

• 68 Dart 007.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 1,190
Found the Lunati cam card part# 40418

•Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 290/302
•Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 256/268
•Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .550/.571
•LSA/ICL: 106/102
•Valve Lash (Int/Exh): .024/.026
•RPM Range: 4200-7500

My goal is 7.50 - 7.60 so now the challenge has started. My self imposed rules at this point. 1. Full interior 2. No mini tubs 3. No roll bar Thinking might need a new set of tires and a driveshaft loop prior to my next trip to the track.[/QUOTE said:
You might want to check NHRA and track rules. I don't know how often you plan on running it but if you are going to race every weekend, you might have to run a 8 pt. cage. It depends on how picky the track is about it. I've been to some who obeyed the rules to a tee and some that didn't care if you ran a blown nitro top fuel engine on a lawn mower. I know a car that is capable of running low 11's is required to have a cage. If you're motor is pumping close 500 hp., thats low 11's easy.

IIRC, As long as he's no quicker than 7.35 in the 1/8th, 11.49 1/4, no roll bar is required.

Faster than those times requires a 5 point bar to 10.00.

-
Back