68 Dart Full rewire.....

-

lildemonkid

Reaction score
So i am in the process of buying a house and haven't gotten to mess with the car much. So this weekend i decided to get a couple things done and maybe take it to a cruise. Long story short, as i was checking the lights, as i always do after the car sits, and i noticed the instrument lights didn't work. So i got my voltage probe out, started checking where the power stops, and found the power made it to the back of the fuse block, but not to the fuse terminal itself. So i pull the back off the fuse block and check the terminal inside, and find that the terminal is severely rusted and corroded. After cleaning it and retesting i determine that the amperage draw is higher that the small amount of metal that's left can handle. So anyone know a good company for new style harnesses? I want to update the wiring if i have to rewire the whole thing anyways. But i am on a budget tighter than 6 clowns in a VW......

:wack:

I bought mine from Year One. Not cheap, but it is a direct replacement for the original and was VERY easy to install. It has been in my Dart for four years now and has worked perfect the whole time. JMO

I bought mine from Year One. Not cheap, but it is a direct replacement for the original and was VERY easy to install. It has been in my Dart for four years now and has worked perfect the whole time. JMO

I would do the restoration harness but i plan on a ton of add-ons in the future and a custom harness is the best solution. While i'm at it right?

I agree! How are your wiring skills? If you are comfortable with wiring why not make your own custom harness? Would sure save you money.

I agree! How are your wiring skills? If you are comfortable with wiring why not make your own custom harness? Would sure save you money.

I am confident i could do a pre-made harness. However i don't feel comfortable with assembling my own harness. There is so much that i don't fully understand and i would rather have the engineering already done. Do you know what companies other than painless performance offer wiring for our Mopars?

American auto wire has a few kits that can be put into a dart. Ron Francis is another good name. To do the car the right way I don't care what kit you have its going to cost ya close to a grand. Can do it cheaper but that's usually half Assing it.

American auto wire has a few kits that can be put into a dart. Ron Francis is another good name. To do the car the right way I don't care what kit you have its going to cost ya close to a grand. Can do it cheaper but that's usually half Assing it.

I agree with THIS 100%. I tried to redo my old wiring harness myself and ended up throwing in the towel and buying one that was professionally done. Just remember one thing- at the end of the day is your car worth sending the money required to make it safe?? JMO

I agree with THIS 100%. I tried to redo my old wiring harness myself and ended up throwing in the towel and buying one that was professionally done. Just remember one thing- at the end of the day is your car worth sending the money required to make it safe?? JMO

I understand where you are coming from. But i will do whatever is necessary to make the car safe and reliable. This was my first car, my daily for 4 years, and the one thing i can't give up on. HAHA. Plus it's a factory paint, 68 dart with very minimal rust. I bought it as a survivor when i was 13.

I needed extra circuits and bigger wire too so I used an EZ wiring 21 circuit kit. And as Joe said the American Auto Wire kits are reasonable cost and fairly easy to install even for a hack like me.

I used the Ron Francis fuse panel and harness in my 66 Dart race car.I can switch back to street car anytime as it,s wired for all accessories to work also(blinkers,wipers etc..) Costly,but done right.:D

Try Ron Francis wiring

I used Ron Francis and was dissappointed at how the "mopar kit" was not very mopar specific. I ended up using abodyjoe's diagram to wire my column because the instructions from ron francis were of no help.

One could also run a fused bypass for temporary drivability if in a pinch for time and/or money.

You could also try to find a good original wiring harness, but be careful as they are different for different years!

I did my 67 dart with a kit from EZ wiring, straight forward, had to splice the connectors to the steering column, they have it set up for a chevy type.

So i am in the process of buying a house and haven't gotten to mess with the car much. So this weekend i decided to get a couple things done and maybe take it to a cruise. Long story short, as i was checking the lights, as i always do after the car sits, and i noticed the instrument lights didn't work. So i got my voltage probe out, started checking where the power stops, and found the power made it to the back of the fuse block, but not to the fuse terminal itself. So i pull the back off the fuse block and check the terminal inside, and find that the terminal is severely rusted and corroded. After cleaning it and retesting i determine that the amperage draw is higher that the small amount of metal that's left can handle. So anyone know a good company for new style harnesses? I want to update the wiring if i have to rewire the whole thing anyways. But i am on a budget tighter than 6 clowns in a VW......

:wack:

I will give you a free fuse block if you pay for the ride.

thanks a bunch everyone! i think for now the car is just going to get towed to the new house. I feel like cutting corners now will only lead to more problems. with 45 years of NC humidity the fuse block, and major sections of the harness have noticeable corrosion. Ron Francis kit looks like it may be my better option. As long as they have the relays, fuses, and circuits already laid out i can make it work.

kwik wire has kits that can be used and are reasonable and made in USA. Each wire is labeled

-
Back