68 Dart Heater Core Replacement

-

m99roadster

Reaction score
To replace the heater core is there some kind of gasket or sealant behind the heater core. I've been told that when I replace it i need to reseal it. I thought I only needed to pop the clips off the front of the heater box, remove 4 phillips screws and slide it out to remove. To replace it I just push it straight in replace the 4 phillips screws put the front of the heater box on and replace the clips. Am I missing something?

Only seal I can think of goes between the box halves. Factory used some kind of dum-dum to seal it up. I think that dum-dum is called "rope seal", and it's available at Home Depot.

Easy job. Take your time, clean the inside of the box out while it's out of the car.

George

There should be a seal where the tubes go through the firewall. Wraps around the tubes. It keeps water out of the pass. Compartment.

You can use many things for that firewall seal. I would cut some black foam rubber to fit on the inside, over the tubes. I have a HF hole punch set I use all the time for such things. You could also seal it from the engine side, using stuff in the Home Depot door/window seals, but might look ugly. The water cudacrazy67 is talking about is rainwater that drips down from the cowl.

-
Back