68 GTS hood lettering

-

DARTGAME

SuPeRcHaRgEd
Reaction score
Recently bought a 68 GTS but hood lettering wasn’t present. There are holes present in that location but looked off. Got some used emblems but they are more crooked than a politician. The front of the hood was welded where the lip trim usually goes so it’s possible these holes were welded and redrilled? The hood is original to the car and has never been off. Looking for hole pattern or guidance. @HemiSSDart @Jim Lusk

IMG_0025.jpeg

IMG_9990.jpeg

20240413_210109.jpg

20240413_210056.jpg

20240413_210046.jpg

Looking like the "T" is riding a little higher on the factory setups.

☆☆☆☆☆

View attachment 1716236260

View attachment 1716236261

View attachment 1716236262

Looking like the "T" is riding a little higher on the factory setups.

☆☆☆☆☆
Thanks @George Jets appreciate it but was looking for the hole pattern ultimately. I have pulled pictures from the internet to get an idea but was hoping someone here might have the pattern, even to help others in the future. Did a search on here but nothing came up. Lots of sales threads and lettering coloring.
Ian

Can't go by my car. All front end sheet metal was replaced in 1970. The hood on ours is a '69 as pointed out by HemiSSDart when he stopped by the house several weeks ago. The letters were better than yours, but still not quite straight. My fenders are worse. We'll be addressing this when we do the body work.

Can't go by my car. All front end sheet metal was replaced in 1970. The hood on ours is a '69 as pointed out by HemiSSDart when he stopped by the house several weeks ago. The letters were better than yours, but still not quite straight. My fenders are worse. We'll be addressing this when we do the body work.
Appreciate the response. I most likely will weld up the existing holes and drill for the lettering as best as I can find using pictures.

IIRC, there are fender letters and hood/trunk letters. Due to curvature of the panel

Could they possibly have a different bolt pattern?

IIRC, there are fender letters and hood/trunk letters. Due to curvature of the panel

Could they possibly have a different bolt pattern?
Yeah there is a difference between the hood and fender emblems, it’s possible that that the previous owner drilled the wrong holes in hood? I guess that would explain current pattern.

Looking at the hood / trunk vs fender letters

The fender ones sit over the style line so there would be no mistaking which is which.

But as stated the holes might have been redrilled incorrectly.

If you look on the backside of the hood there are access holes how do they line up to the drilled holes?

Does your GTS also have the GTS on the trunk?

Are the letters aligned correctly.

If so you could use that as a template.

If the letter spacing in the photos is to your liking and someone can get me an accurate post to post measurement I can make you a template
Screenshot_20240413-223058.png
Screenshot_20240413-223026.png

Rear of " hood" emblem
Screenshot_20240413-222455.png

Rear of hood emblem
Screenshot_20240413-222035.png

Looking at the hood / trunk vs fender letters

The fender ones sit over the style line so there would be no mistaking which is which.

But as stated the holes might have been redrilled incorrectly.

If you look on the backside of the hood there are access holes how do they line up to the drilled holes?

Does your GTS also have the GTS on the trunk?

Are the letters aligned correctly.

If so you could use that as a template.

If the letter spacing in the photos is to your liking and someone can get me an accurate post to post measurement I can make you a template View attachment 1716236315View attachment 1716236316

Rear of " hood" emblem
View attachment 1716236317

Rear of hood emblem
View attachment 1716236318
Thanks for response. It does have the trunk lettering in place. That’s great advice about templating the holes from the trunk. That is probably what I will end up doing.

I can't help but one of the great members here must have a hood they can lay some paper on and poke the holes as a template and mail it to you to use.
Maybe make a wanted add

Thanks for response. It does have the trunk lettering in place. That’s great advice about templating the holes from the trunk. That is probably what I will end up doing
Before you pull the rear GTS, pull the front GTS and see if the posts align like the posts in the photo above.

Also be sure your letters are not "V" shaped on the back. That would indicate they are fender letters!

Before you pull the rear GTS, pull the front GTS and see if the posts align like the posts in the photo above.

Also be sure your letters are not "V" shaped on the back. That would indicate they are fender letters!
They aren’t fender emblems but thanks for heads up. I bought some re-pop hood/trunk letters from Yearone but mounting pins are atrocious. :BangHead:

I bought some re-pop hood/trunk letters from Yearone but mounting pins are atrocious
I reproduce misc parts for our cars.

I suspect the reproductions take a good used part and make a mold from it.

The result is only as good (slightly less good) as the original.

Think Michael Keaton in "Multiplicity"

I draw the CAD from scratch so it's not a copy of a copy, nice and clean!

Mr. Norm's crew had to redrill the "S" in the center for the GSS's, did you try the S in the middle?

Mr. Norm's crew had to redrill the "S" in the center for the GSS's, did you try the S in the middle
That would be awesome

But..

The "T" sits too high and it's bottom pin is higher than the "S"s bottom pin so that would put the "S" even higher if it was in the center position.

But I would still try it!

There is also a possibility that the GTS letters pins are not correct?

But...

The most likely thing, especially with the "welding on the edge" is someone who was not good at setting letters drilling holes.

And with the "S" being so crooked to me it just confirms my theory.

-
Back