68 GTX Rear Axle Bearing Help

-
How can you know if it is in there. Still confused with that. Someone else said you can see through if it is out. Sorry to sound so dumb?

Not to sound dumb but how do you know if they are still in there? Someone else said that you would be able to see light through the axle?

If the center of the differential looks like this picture, the buttons are gone. See the hole going thru? You will either see a shiny-looking button, the same size as the axle, or this, with a hole that you can see light thru to the other side.

upload_2019-5-27_18-8-49-png.png

Is this picture taken through the end of the axle? Is that the end of the axle from the other side? Should I fix one side at a time and put it in before I pull the other side? Thanks for all the help. Mike

Is this picture taken through the end of the axle? Is that the end of the axle from the other side? Should I fix one side at a time and put it in before I pull the other side? Thanks for all the help. Mike

That's how I would do it. You should be able to see the thrust button with a good light. Also, no need to panic if it does fall out. The 8 3/4 is a very simple unit to work on.

It's a picture of the carrier (center section). This one has the thrust buttons in place. Using a flashlight, you can see this area thru the axle tubes once the axles are pulled out.

complete-8-3-4-centersections-15.jpg

If it does fall out how do you get back in? Sorry to be so paranoid. Just want to make sure what I am getting into. Not a master mechanic but I know basic stuff. Thanks

If it does fall out how do you get back in? Sorry to be so paranoid. Just want to make sure what I am getting into. Not a master mechanic but I know basic stuff. Thanks

The easiest way is to remove the drive shaft and remove the center section. That's the center section up there in that picture ^^^^^^. Don't let it get you down man. I promise, it's not bad and with all out help, you'll come out like a champ.

Does anyone have a picture like above without the thrust buttons? So I have both views?

Does anyone have a picture like above without the thrust buttons? So I have both views?

Just imagine being able to see STRAIGHT through the center. If you had both axles out and the thrust button was out you could see a person on the other side waving at you. Is that a painted enough picture? lol

-
Back