68 SS Door glass or lexan ? your idea ?

-

Tribute SS/A 68

Reaction score
I am finishing my Tribute to the 68 Hurst Hemi Cuda. Since the thinner door glass is no longer available, do you think I should leave the stock glass in place and add the straps, or buy Lexan ?
Bickell sells the exact reprop of lexan 3/16" for $ 460.00 a pair, but if everybody thinks that's what I should do then i will.
Building as close to original as possible, when delivered in 68.
thanks
:burnout:

what other kits do you guys sell??? 73 duster????????:D

I think with something as big of a change from stock that lightweight glass is, I would want as close to the Owens Corning glass as I could get for my tribute!! Your choice in the end!! Geof

what other kits do you guys sell??? 73 duster????????:D

nope sorry, we built Super Stock Hemi Darts and Cuda's.

I think with something as big of a change from stock that lightweight glass is, I would want as close to the Owens Corning glass as I could get for my tribute!! Your choice in the end!! Geof

I think kramer can have a set made but its somewhere in the 4g range for a set. keep in mind if the manufacture breaks your set your SOL... and have to buy another...

And our kit is something like 65lbs saved...

IMO, if you're trying to get as perfect as possible (and assuming the financial responsibilities that come along with that commitment) - then order the custom real glass. If you're building a tribute car that you plan to drive and race and money is a concern - then go with Lexan. Lexan will not last forever but if you're careful you'll get a lot of good years from it - good return on investment. Ultimately - it's not "right" if you're after factory as-delivered but most won't make that investment on something you will never get back if you sell or might break if you race.

I am finishing my Tribute to the 68 Hurst Hemi Cuda. Since the thinner door glass is no longer available, do you think I should leave the stock glass in place and add the straps, or buy Lexan ?
Bickell sells the exact reprop of lexan 3/16" for $ 460.00 a pair, but if everybody thinks that's what I should do then i will.
Building as close to original as possible, when delivered in 68.
thanks
:burnout:

FYI - there is a guy on Class Racer. com selling NOS '68 Cuda " lightweight or "thin glass" for $2K per set. I think he has two complete sets left. Go to the Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock section under SS Hemi Cuda thread. If it`s the original Dow Corning race weight glass the price is cheap.

Good Luck!
:glasses7:

Keep in mind that even treated Lexan will scratch eventually & depending on how accurate you want to be, it just doesn't look like glass. The original cars were known for breaking the side glass out simply due to vibration & useage, so I'm not sure you want to go that route either. If it's a dual-purpose car, I'd stay with the stock glass. If it's a dedicated racecar & you don't mind the very minor imperfection lexan will give, then I say go with that.
I will add that years ago I saw one of "DeFrank & Cohen's" S/S 'cudas & the owner added extra lining in the channels to insure the Corning glass didn't rattle itself apart. That may be another route you'd want to look into.......

There are places that can remove scratches in glass by basically milling/machining it. I think thier key application is high rise buildings. I wonder if they could mill/machine/polish an original thick set down to "thin" thickness.

I know ns1rm21 bought a set of Brazilian? repro side glass that was about 25% thinner. It was cheap too. But that was for a Dart.

$4K for thinner side glass, I'd think about how spot-on accurate to a race time period or theme the car was to justify that.

Unless you are racing it, I don't see bothering with Lexan. They were not Lexan at all originally. More inaccurate than thick stock glass you have now.

-
Back