69 340 k member? Help

-

rtse66

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Maybe someone can help me out. I bought a v8 k member awhile back and it has a washer welded on the front surface of the k member. I know they used that in 70, my road runner k member had it on it.
When did they start that?

Has the 67-69 style anti sway bar mount holes drilled in it.

IMG_20230409_163950122.jpg

I've typically seen that on 68 and 69 A body K members when they were 340 (68 - Formula S / GTS) cars. I haven't inspected enough BB 383 cars to know if it was a SB K member only thing. All the 67-69 A Body K members I've see had the sway bar holes drilled into them. Supposedly, the welded washer was to let the guys down the line know it was a Hi-Po car??? Maybe those are the cars (outside of the 'verts that got the torque boxes? IDK. I know there were older discussions along these lines... is that what you were looking for?

Last edited:
Yes thank you. Oddly my 68 formula S 340 doesn't have the washer welded on it. But has original looking anti sway mounted to it. January 68 build date.

Yes thank you. Oddly my 68 formula S 340 doesn't have the washer welded on it. But has original looking anti sway mounted to it. January 68 build date.
as far as I know it was NOT a consistent thing, could have been a SHIFT thing who knows what they did back in the day... I don't think my old 68 340 S 'vert had one either, however my car was definitely hit in the front driver side at one time so it might have been changed as well, or It MIGHT have NEVER had it.

Last edited:
Designates its a reinforced K-member. Look for the half washer welded around the Lower control arm hole as pictured. Noticed a difference inside when cutting them apart for modification. Some of them Have the center of the washer as picture.

Thought I would post the last picture of what happens to a K-member when the strut rod bushing doesn't have a shear sleeve. This should stir up a novel.

DSCN1651.jpg

DSCN1652.jpg

DSCN1333.JPG

DSCN1334.JPG

DSCN1335.JPG

DSCN1641.jpg

But oddly my original 68 340 formula S k member isn't reinforced. Must've been a mid year thing
Or it was a Monday or a Friday or somewhere in the last ~55 years things were changed. LOL.:lol:

Both of my 69 340 cars had the front washer on the front of the K.
Also the UCA's had an extra reinforcing ring around the pivot points. I don't think those were used on the common cars.

Honestly I got to say, one would think Chrysler could have hired better welders from the welding I have seen on k frames.

Honestly I got to say, one would think Chrysler could have hired better welders from the welding I have seen on k frames.
Probably stick welded. They hired people off the street with no training.

Speaking or the bad welds.
My son was a correction tech at Mack Trucks. The grilles were falling out of the trucks at the end of the line. So he went to investigate why all the grille screws were stripped. He watched the young guy installing the grille.

The man/girl/it/person or what ever pronoun it used was pushing as hard as it could and pulling the trigger on the gun and held it flat out until the screw went in.

My son asked him, Why are you pushing so hard? The young person said that was the only way the screw would go in. So my son grabbed the gun and tried. The gun was on reverse!

These companies hire anyone that will show up to work. Its hard to find young people that will even show up to work anymore.

Speaking or the bad welds.
My son was a correction tech at Mack Trucks. The grilles were falling out of the trucks at the end of the line. So he went to investigate why all the grille screws were stripped. He watched the young guy installing the grille.

The man/girl/it/person or what ever pronoun it used was pushing as hard as it could and pulling the trigger on the gun and held it flat out until the screw went in.

My son asked him, Why are you pushing so hard? The young person said that was the only way the screw would go in. So my son grabbed the gun and tried. The gun was on reverse!

These companies hire anyone that will show up to work. Its hard to find young people that will even show up to work anymore.
Anyone with a pulse.

Not to hijack but...Interesting about the hiring and training. I worked at two Chrysler plants in Windsor Canada. When I was hired in the 90"s You needed a grade 12 diploma and took two 4 hour days of tests (mostly problem solving and psyche profiling) and had to assemble small parts on the last day. 70% of the people tested failed.

As for on the job training it was dismal. Each section of the assembly lines had 4 or five absentee people that knew all of the jobs. They were the guys that trained new people. Problem was either they were lazy, expected too much, or in a hurry to go sit down. They would show you the job, have you do a few vehicles and disappear. Some people needed more time to get up to speed (me included) and lots of repairs would occur. The line speed did not help, not much room for error or you're runing after vehicles all shift. Hated the jobs and the line chasing but loved the money.

-
Back