69 904 Trans swap

-

fishman

Reaction score
I have a 67 barracuda w/273 & 904 trans. I also have a 904 that I removed from my 69 barracuda. My question is has anyone done this swap. From what I understand the front shaft on the 69 torque converter is too big for the pilot hole in the 273 crank. Wanted to see if anyone has tryed having the front shaft on the converter turned to the right size to fit in the 273 crank. Or if there may be some other options so I can make use of the 69 - 904 I have. If anyone is wondering why I am doing this it is because I have a vibration that comes and goes. Everything except the trans has been replaced at least once. (that includes drive shaft, u-joints and even a different rear end) Thanks for any response, Tom

There isn't a shaft on the front of the torque converter to the crank. Its more like a nub in the sheet metal. That can't be turned.
There may be a torque converter that matches the spline count on the input shaft of the 69 trans and also matches the 273 crank. I dont know for sure.
Bumped anyway :) Good luck

There isn't a shaft on the front of the torque converter to the crank. Its more like a nub in the sheet metal. That can't be turned.
There may be a torque converter that matches the spline count on the input shaft of the 69 trans and also matches the 273 crank. I dont know for sure.
Bumped anyway :) Good luck

Ya thats what was thinking. I dont think there is a converter that will work. Thanks for the bump I know there is some members on here that will know for sure what can be done if anything.

About 10 years ago I put a 70's 904 in my 67 Dart GT with a 273.I cant remember the name of the place that did it but I had the torque converter shop make a custom converter with the front half of a 67 273..and the back half with the newer 318/360 style spline.So it is possible if you can find the right shop to do it.

I think there might be some convertor companies that will build you a convertor with the small hub and spline count for the 69 transmission. I think Midwest and Dynamic might be 2 of them.

-
Back