69 barracuda dash mounting?

-

Derrick Kidwell

Reaction score
my gauges and bezel were all removed when car was purchased,so i don't know what fasteners or which ones to do first . Is there someones resto. page that i should go to or place for info? The radio ,heater controls everything was removed .

Boy, are you lucky! Just had to remove my '68 cluster, so can show you nuts and screws to attach. The radio attaches with two nuts on the front, you can see the two tabs on the front of the radio and see the two clips that go into the dash for it. The radio also has a bracket on the back where it has a phillips screw that screws directly into the bottom of the dash. The cluster uses 8 special screws to attach it to the dash. Some of these are screwed directly into the dash, others need clips attached to dash first. Hope these pics help.
100_2634.JPG

100_2635.JPG

100_2636.JPG

100_2637.JPG

100_2638.JPG

100_2639.JPG

Great pics Murray. Derrick take a close look at those screws, they are specific to the instrument cluster. Also make sure this piece of steel is attached to the top of cluster.
3rd pic shows a couple holes in plastic cluster where I believe those screws go.
Boy, are you lucky! Just had to remove my '68 cluster, so can show you nuts and screws to attach. The radio attaches with two nuts on the front, you can see the two tabs on the front of the radio and see the two clips that go into the dash for it. The radio also has a bracket on the back where it has a phillips screw that screws directly into the bottom of the dash. The cluster uses 8 special screws to attach it to the dash. Some of these are screwed directly into the dash, others need clips attached to dash first. Hope these pics help.View attachment 1715515692

View attachment 1715515696

View attachment 1715515697

View attachment 1715515698

View attachment 1715515699

View attachment 1715515700

Awesome thanks

20200424_224411.jpg

20200424_224317.jpg

20200424_224356.jpg

I would put the climate controller in the dash and get plenum door cables attached and working properly first. Connector to fan switch also.
The 2 small bolts that attach the controller to the inst' panel can be installed reaching over and around or through glove box opening.

Must be a dash/instrument weekend. I was going to create a thread on this very subject.
Couple of things I am having issues with. See attached pics.
The first picture I have is the front of my dash with 3 screw drivers pointing to specific holes. First question regarding these holes, what kind of fasteners are used in these holes? The second picture is a closer shot of one of the holes. In the third picture you can see the back side of one of the holes where there is a tab that I am quite sure a screw threads into problem is the screws I have (which I believe may be part of the solution) would just pass through the opening unless there is some sort of washer that fits into the hole on the dash side. Also in the third picture it appears that there should be some sort of "spacer", between the tab and the plastic framing of the dash?
The forth picture is one of the screws I am speaking about. I have the same problem as Derrick the dash was partly disassembled, I found these screws in the ashtray.
In the last picture you can see I attached one of the screws to the far upper left side of the dash, the location is just above the hole where the flasher switch would go, you can see the hole from the front side in picture 1. But I don't think this is where it goes as you can see it goes quite far through the dash into the underside? Seems to me the screw should be about half the length of the one that I used.
Dash 68 barracuda.jpg
Close up of dash.jpg
backside of dash.jpg
screw.jpg
Backside of screw location.jpg

Last edited:
Must be a dash/instrument weekend. I was going to create a thread on this very subject.
The first picture I have is the front of my dash with 3 screw drivers pointing to specific holes. First question regarding these holes, what kind of fasteners are used in these holes? The second picture is a closer shot of one of the holes. In the third picture you can see the back side of one of the holes where there is a tab that I am quite sure a screw threads into problem is the screws I have (which I believe may be part of the solution) would just pass through the opening unless there is some sort of washer that fits into the hole on the dash side. Also in the third picture it appears that there should be some sort of "spacer", between the tab and the plastic framing of the dash?
The forth picture is one of the screws I am speaking about. I have the same problem as Derrick the dash was partly disassembled, I found these screws in the ashtray.
In the last picture you can see I attached one of the screws to the far upper left side of the dash, the location is just above the hole where the flasher switch would go, you can see the hole from the front side in picture 1. But I don't think this is where it goes as you can see it goes quite far through the dash into the underside? Seems to me the screw should be about half the length of the one that I used.View attachment 1715516501 View attachment 1715516502 View attachment 1715516503 View attachment 1715516504 View attachment 1715516505
The odd looking screw in the fourth picture goes in the holes in the first picture. I will try to get you some better pictures tomorrow. If I forget, please do not hesitate to remind me tomorrow evening.

Those are the special screws needed to install cluster. You need 8 of them. Some of the bottom row screws directly into the dash, the top row and others to the right need clips in the dash before install. All 8 will appear recessed after install- no spacer. Previous post shows the clips. You missed one screw hole in the first picture to the far right.

In the last picture you can see I attached one of the screws to the far upper left side of the dash, the location is just above the hole where the flasher switch would go, you can see the hole from the front side in picture 1. But I don't think this is where it goes as you can see it goes quite far through the dash into the underside? Seems to me the screw should be about half the length of the one that I used.View attachment 1715516501 View attachment 1715516502 View attachment 1715516503 View attachment 1715516504 View attachment 1715516505
your problem is you're missing a part. Bezel is attached to pot metal inst' housing first. Some of these screws go through both bezel and housing. So that housing is the spacer you're looking for. The upper screws are only through a thin sheet metal plate but all screws were/are the same length.

Last edited:
Good eye Ben, still on my 1st cup, so missed that part.
Heres a 67 housing. Similar to 69. Gauges and speedometer go in the front and circuit boards go on the back.

20200426_104206.jpg

20200426_104217.jpg

Ok I was going to put the instrument cluster in afterwards. I was having trouble fitting it in with the instrument cluster attached. Thanks all for the pictures they were very helpful.
Curious if anyone knows what the cutout in the first picture is for? It is right beside the cigarette lighter that is covered by the dash panel itself. Most likely an option that my car did not come with. Also second picture is it a bolt or a screw that mounts the climate control to the dash? Anyone have any picture of what they look like? The other 2 pictures are of the dash and cluster together, I just placed the dash pads upper and lower in there places without mounting them just for the pictures. Slowly its coming together...

EDIT Also just incase anyone is curious in the second picture on the climate control you will notice the blower switch may look different than yours. What I did was order a switch from rockauto for a 1972 d100 pick up, I gutted my switch and transplanted the guts from the new switch from rockauto into my old switch. the spade connecters are arranged differently so I had to cut my blower harness at the switch end and wire individual female spade connectors. but it works great and only cost $10

back of dash 68 barracuda.jpg

back climate controler 68 barracuda.jpg

68 barracuda dash.jpg

68 barracuda dash2.jpg

Last edited:
The radio opening in your dash has been cut out, that opening is for the factory studded clip that mounts the radio.

New pics- clip and nut on the left are radio mounting, you will need two of these. Two hex head screws on right are heater control mounting.
100_2640.JPG
100_2641.JPG

New pics- clip and nut on the left are radio mounting, you will need two of these. Two hex head screws on right are heater control mounting.View attachment 1715517039View attachment 1715517040
Thanks. Yes sadly a previous owner before me cut the radio area. So I'll probably be looking into some aftermarket head units. Might as well better than an ugly cut out. There are some decent looking retro style radios available. I believe I have those bolts for the climate control. Makes sense to have bolts instead of screws, a bit more robust.

-
Back