69 barracuda ignition switch

-

iw378

Reaction score
My ignition switch is feeling like it is worn out. Doesn't turn freely anymore,
have to put the key in just the right way etc. I guess I'd be wore out too if I had someone sticking something in me and turning it for 40 plus years. LOL
I have the whole dash out now and would like to fix this when it is easy to get to. What are your feelings as where to get the switch from. Classic, Napa ?
I have nice new keys so I know I'll have to move the pins around to match my keys.
o4kq.jpg

Also I do have voltage drop in the switch so it's time to go

There's no guarantee that you can match existing keys in two different locks

I forget where.......might be classic.......you can buy door lock and ign lock sets that are keyed alike

The other thing is.........how do you know your keys really fit the lock? How were they made? If you had dups made from existing worn keys, that could be part of the problem

The keys are good. I am actually ocd enough that I put the calipers to them.
Also the keys work great in the door locks so that eliminates the keys (i feel). The original key as well as the duplicate keys
all warble around in the ignition switch. The cylinder itself does not operate smoothly and I can feel binding. If you look at my picture of the key cylinder you can see the "pin lid"
on the top. I can just pop that off of a new switch and rearrange the pins of it to match the pin length sequence of my old one. Also I have a .3 voltage loss in the switch itself.
That I would like to be rid of. I lubed the cylinder but still it hangs up and turns roughly.
I'll check classic but I don't wanna buy a whole lockset as the door locks are fine.

There again is a one year only part. The 69 switch is longer than others.
I haven't searched for a NOS or good used 69 switch. Good luck with that.
There are shops that rebuild switches.

do you have a locksmith in town? take it to them have them re key the switch to the keys you have/want to use, it will feel like a new unit--- at least the one I had done did, Lawrence

69 is unique to that year only.

-
Back