-

SSVDP

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of this one before...

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/2100175651.html

1969 Plymouth Barracuda Savage GT - 340 - 383 - 440

Wanted: Info on any surviving 1969 Barracuda Savage GT's - These cars were built by a small company in 1968-1969 - Auto Craft, out of Fond Du Lac, WI. These cars were produced and sold in the greater Milwaukee area. If you know anyone who owns one of these or owned one in the past, please feel free to e-mail me. I am looking for any cars for sale, original parts such as hood, rear deck lid w spoiler, wheels, etc. Pictures are encouraged as well. Please feel free to contact me with any info. Thanks.

Brad
PM ME

I found one near Eau Claire, WI about 5 years ago off of eBay and brought it down to Illinois. Have not started the restoration yet but it is one of the original 13 69's built. It is a 340 auto car, 1 of 8. There were 4 383 cars built and 1 440, wish I could find that one! I have contacted this individual before and have even had contact with the original designer who lives in Florida. Only a couple of them are known to exist right now.

Never heard of them, not fond of the grille in them. If you click on the pic of the car from the CL ad, it is a live link to a photobucket acct and you can see a pic of one that is actually an "S"

The Savage GTs started out as 383 or 340 Formula S Barracudas and were intended to be a direct competitor to the Shelby Mustangs. The prototype started out as a 67 383 S. The rest of the 13 or so cars produced were 69s. One 440 was made. It was the last Savage GT made and had started out as a 340 car. Had the company got started earlier, they might have made it. But by the time they went into production, the second generation Barracuda was already in its last year. The money wasn't there to tool up for a new 1970 model. Two 1968 magazine road tests were done using the prototype. Unfortunantly, Motor Trend's time with the car was a total waste and did nothing to promote the car. The writer of that road test as I recall, wrote as though he were high at the time. The other road test was by either Car and Driver or Road and Track. I don't remember which, but somewhere I have a copy of it. Too bad the Savage didn't get more space in automotive publications and too bad they didn't get enough of them made to allow a few to develop a reputation on the track.

I found one near Eau Claire, WI about 5 years ago off of eBay and brought it down to Illinois. Have not started the restoration yet but it is one of the original 13 69's built. It is a 340 auto car, 1 of 8. There were 4 383 cars built and 1 440, wish I could find that one! I have contacted this individual before and have even had contact with the original designer who lives in Florida. Only a couple of them are known to exist right now.

Do you have pictures of this car? If so please share!

I've got similar pics and info on at 67/8 SAVAGE. Anyone could create that nose. All they did was french in a center section from a 3rd part. Quality photos will reveal the join lines left and right of center.
Nay as well be a Dart, Duster, or Valiant grille though for the look of it.
I have always felt they dropped the ball in one spot. There shoud have been chrome letters across the nose of the 67 like P L Y M O U T H except
S A L V A G E LOL

SavageGT1.jpg

SavageGT2.jpg

SavageGT3.jpg

SavageGT4.jpg

Pics on one that I believe was on ebay at one time. Most likely the car rhinodart owns now
savagegt.jpg

savagegtspoiler2.jpg

savagegtspoiler.jpg

savagegtrear.jpg

savagegthood.jpg

savagegtgrille.jpg

savagegtfront.jpg

savagegtemblem.jpg

Interesting thread. I notice that on the company brochure that the car has side pipes, wheel opening mouldings on stock looking fenders and quarters, and a standard location for the radio antenna but the photo of the red car shows no wheel opening mouldings but flared quarter panels (maybe because of the rust?), dual rear antennas, and no side pipes. I can't tell if the wheels are correct. If they started out as a Formula S, Savage must have changed the trunk finish panel as I see no emblem (it was riveted on that year). Yeah, I just noticed that is says Savage instead of Barracuda on the lid. That's going to be a ***** to find!

There's a guy over on the HAMB who has one. Races it under the name "Savage Plymouth."

If you can access the Oct 1968 motor trend there is a write up on page 92,the cover car was a Mopar340 :toothy10: later known as a 340 cuda.

wow way cool i love the look of that car must find a savage cuda

I saw one of these about 5 years ago at a local car show (Appleton,Wi),it was a copper or root beer color & I think it was a 383.

68 Salvage

Attachments

• 68 SAVAGE FRONT.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 3,341
That is the car I picked-up behind a barn near Eau Claire, WI! It was sunk into the mud and there was a dead family of racoons underneath it! It was originally red and the owner told me the original engine is in a Challenger in Eau Claire somewhere, it has a later 318 in it now. It is missing a few of the original parts and the fiberglass hood and trunklid needs major work, but it is what it is!

Now thats the way I like to start the day. I never heard of one of these cars.. I like the hood. The scoop seems just about the right height. Thanks for sharing the pics and the story fellows.

I like the hood on that 69. It would look better on my 67
I want the duck tail off the deck lid too

I have been looking for additional information on the Barracuda Savage GT and I scored this magazine on eBay today. It is also cool that this magazine includes the 1st Annual Mopar @ Carlisle in it.

Attachments

• Barracuda Savage GT Mag.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 1,865
-
Back