[WANTED] 69 Barracuda Thumbwheel AmFM And 150 MPH Speedometer

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for your info. I have this radio in my car. These are very rare. Barracuda radios are unique, not the same as other A bodies. The quick way to ID a Barracuda radio is noticing the mounting tabs. The left mounting tab is up and over the top of the radio while the right tab is pointed to the side of the radio. Yes, you can convert an A body radio to a Barracuda by changing out the face plate. In 1968, this radio was not available from the factory, it was dealer installed. One radio repairman I talked to estimated that there were less than 100 made. Be prepared to spend at least $400. These are available in reproduction. Good luck on your search.

Just for your info. I have this radio in my car. These are very rare. Barracuda radios are unique, not the same as other A bodies. The quick way to ID a Barracuda radio is noticing the mounting tabs. The left mounting tab is up and over the top of the radio while the right tab is pointed to the side of the radio. Yes, you can convert an A body radio to a Barracuda by changing out the face plate. In 1968, this radio was not available from the factory, it was dealer installed. One radio repairman I talked to estimated that there were less than 100 made. Be prepared to spend at least $400. These are available in reproduction. Good luck on your search.
Thanks. I figure I would have to spend on getting it. If you should ever see one, please let me know. Thanks for the info.

We paid to have an orig am/fm barracuda radio restored..... $400...waste of money imo. Brand new back in the day how many watts? 2?? Lol. If you are set on one buy a non working one...save $$

We were lucky our original one was with the car so we didn't need to buy one. Just get it refurbed. Wards Radio in Alabama did ours. The radio for the cuda isnt unique, but like Murray said the tabs are. Worse case scenario make your own tabs. I've seen non working am/fm sell for $400 lol outrageous

We were lucky our original one was with the car so we didn't need to buy one. Just get it refurbed. Wards Radio in Alabama did ours. The radio for the cuda isnt unique, but like Murray said the tabs are. Worse case scenario make your own tabs. I've seen non working am/fm sell for $400 lol outrageous

Bcuda AM/FM is unique as is says made by Plymouth or Plymouth Division on the face.

Not sure why u think $400 is outrageous?? That is a price from 10 years or more ago. I recently sold a '69 Dart AM/FM for $750. AM/FM's are very rare to find these days!!!!

I also have a '69 Bcuda AM/FM that i'd likely sell.......if my friend davescuda doesn't have one.....( i was going to add it to one of my BB 4spd notch cars, but that car may never be restored by me?)

I was there in 1968 working as Mopar mechanic. The radio cost about $150. You are probably right about the current price. One other side note on the speedo- it has an adjustable trip meter requiring a different bezel to accommodate the knob.

Bcuda AM/FM is unique as is says made by Plymouth or Plymouth Division on the face.

Not sure why u think $400 is outrageous?? That is a price from 10 years or more ago. I recently sold a '69 Dart AM/FM for $750. AM/FM's are very rare to find these days!!!!

I also have a '69 Bcuda AM/FM that i'd likely sell.......if my friend davescuda doesn't have one.....( i was going to add it to one of my BB 4spd notch cars, but that car may never be restored by me?)
Thanks B.B, I’ll wait for Dave and let you know after I hear from him.
Thanks.
Andrew

For a 2 watt radio? IMO its outrageous. I know there are a lot more expensive trinkets etc, but IMO(again) money better spent elsewhere. Maybe if I didnt have one in the 67 I would want one in my 69 S vert. Under no circumstances will I spend that(again) on a 2 watt radio. The $400 was to refurbish(as best they could). $400(or more??LOL) better spent on a hidden stereo setup IMO
Yes it SHOULD say PLYMOUTH division on the front face BUT I believe you could use a "Plymouth" from any Plymouth AM/FM face from that era. I believe you can make it "fit"/"work" as I would almost bet that someone has been done before.
So my 67 am/fm being one year only, what is that "worth"?? $1500 lol

my thumbwheel has been filling the dash-hole since 1999, and has never had the power hooked up. It's just in there to fill the spot. Before that, it was in a different car, that I bought in 77. It was never turned on in that car either,lol. Prior to 77, I cannot say.But IMO,a 2watt radio, makes just enough noise with the engine running to be aggravating,lol.

Well Guys, Thank You For All your Advice. I’m old traditionalists and reliving my childhood. Loyal to the times!!

Back in 1968, I bought my first new car, a dark green form S fastback with a white interior, it "did" have the thumbwheel radio in it, A M only. I know it wasn`t dealer installed, I saw them drive it off the transport truck, and in to the service department. I gave $3250 for it at Tink Wilkersons Chrysler / Plymouth in Tulsa ,Ok. It had paper work and the window sticker also stating it had a 330 horse roadrunner engine in it. The only diff. was the pinched exhaust manifold on the drivers side. I read a couple of yrs ago, that there were only 2 made w/ that h.p. engine in them. WISH THE HELL I`D BEEN SMART ENOUGH TO KEEP IT !! Driving it was about like driving a 66 nova w/ a 365 horse / 327 in it, couldn`t touch the ground !

Back in 1968, I bought my first new car, a dark green form S fastback with a white interior, it "did" have the thumbwheel radio in it, A M only. I know it wasn`t dealer installed, I saw them drive it off the transport truck, and in to the service department. I gave $3250 for it at Tink Wilkersons Chrysler / Plymouth in Tulsa ,Ok. It had paper work and the window sticker also stating it had a 330 horse roadrunner engine in it. The only diff. was the pinched exhaust manifold on the drivers side. I read a couple of yrs ago, that there were only 2 made w/ that h.p. engine in them. WISH THE HELL I`D BEEN SMART ENOUGH TO KEEP IT !! Driving it was about like driving a 66 nova w/ a 365 horse / 327 in it, couldn`t touch the ground !
In 1968 I was 15 years old and didn't have more than a couple of bucks saved up. Cars were on the distant horizon for me.
But, in 1976, I got me a dark green 69 BarracudaFB slanty with a white interior,with an AM thumbwheel,the year before I got married. It's hard to believe that 8 years could make so much difference in a person's life.

Last edited:
here are some pictures

fullsizeoutput_1c41.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1c2a.jpeg

IMG_0541.JPG

fullsizeoutput_1c30.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1c42.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1c45.jpeg

IMG_0548.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
-